What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing colours - help!

mariamurr

Hi all,

I recently got an assignment that is about designing different colourways for a fabric print pattern. I have tried to change the colours with Replace Color adjustment, but every time I try to change the colours, only the saturation and lightness sliders move, not the hue. In Hue/Saturation adjustment I can apparently only change the lightness of the colour. Where you think the problem is? I'm using version 8.0 of Photoshop CS for Mac - do you think there could be some compatibility issues here? Or are the colours somehow "locked"?

Every answer will be greatly appreciated.

upload a pic? (with watermark 'fcourse =) )

I'm afraid I can't, it's for the autumn collection of the firm where I work as an intern... The design, anyway, has two colours and two respective layers.

i'm not the pro in here but no image= no idea about how the problem looks like

Thats because you got Duotone colormode. Then you should be able to change color easily. Go in menu Image/Mode/Duotone... and choose color you want.

Okey then, what is writen at image window title? like blablabla@25%(RGB/8???)?

And give screenshot of layer panel. I mean when right after moment when Replace color didn't work.

Last edited:
My guess is that you aren't clicking the "colorize" square at the bottom and if you have a CMYK doc, it won't change hues. What mode is your document?

I hope you can see this example. If not, I can cut it into 2 docs. I wanted to show what happens with a CMYK img vs. RGB when you use hue/sat adjustments. A CMYK will change whatever hues are there according to the color slider. With an RGB img, each color block adjusts relative to its native/original hue (I know I didn't say that very well as I am not that technical).

Like the others have said, it will be useful to have more info as well as be able to see the image you are working on. Thanks, IB

OOPs, forgot to label which is which. RGB on the left. Also, notice that CMYK colors are flatter and aren't in the "millions" like RGB.

Attachments

• hue changes.png
    hue changes.png
    463.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
You will have an easier time with a new version of photoshop. You can download cs5 for free for a month trial at adobe's website

Thanks everyone!

ashley12: tried that yesterday, but my Mac is apparently too old for the newest version...
SeniorS: the title is towel separations.psd (a) 8.33% (RGB/8).
ibclare, when I clicked the Colorize box, there still were no visible changes in the document. The colour on the slider on the bottom of the box changed though.

I would guess the problem has something to do with the colour modes - the Result box of the Replace Color window is black when I begin changing the colours, and moving around in the Color Picker box just changes the lightness of the colour. The preview box is also in black and white - is it supposed to be like that?

One more time...post screenshot of layers panel. We will not see picture itself. I think problem is that you try to Replace Color on something greyscaled like layer mask.

Now that you mention that - there actually is a brush symbol on the layer 1&2 lines so I guess there must be some mask... How can I deselect it?
I'm a bit paranoid over posting anything anywhere, especially when the design in question is someone elses.

:)

I don't remember how it look on PS 9. Don't think it changed much so if you have mask it looks like - one box with layer preview (or brush) box then "chain" and then other box with greyscale preview (or grey box with white dot). Click once on that layer preview. That will highlight it somehow. Now try Replace Color.

At first screenshot don't know - Replace Color should work just fine.
At second, yes, you trying to Replace Color on Gradient adjustment layer's mask (which is greyscale, so no colors to replace, only lightness).

I assume, that color for fabric is in that gradient with some blending option different from normal. Try double click on that gradient box (not white box (mask), will appear Gradient Fill panel. Change color to what you need.

Oh, and the thumbnail is grayscale.
Clicking the chain symbol on and off hasn't solved the problem.

Removing chain will not help. And layers thumbnail probably is grey because it is unsaturated for better blending with gradient (probobly "Overlay"). But if image is RGB it still is RGB layer.

Thanks again - now it seems that I'm able to change the colours somehow. Still, I don't know which option to choose to be able to change them the way I want. I should have exact Pantone colours to present, but the colours still seem to change quite randomly.

A screenshot of the Gradient Map:

Kuva 5.png

Back