What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scanned pics are 'honeycombed'

namvet

Power User
I have a couple of these pics which need some minor repairs .... seemed an easy task until I scanned them, repaired them .. so far so good .. then I printed them .... arrgh!! .. the 'honeycomb' came through in the printed pic!! .... as the repairs were minor I hadn't 'zoomed' in PS7 and so didn't notice it (but the printer did!!) ... I have since looked closely at the originals (very closely) and it is the photopaper on the original that is 'honeycombed' ...... I'v tried a number of ways to fix but they weren't satisfactory ... if anyone can suggest a non-destructive fix I would appreciate it ... thanks .. pics below should explain more ... regards nam

this appears to be caused by one of two reasons. 1) the photo is a printed, (on a press), copy. The pattern could be caused by either 'roto gravure' printing or an older style of color separation plates. or 2) this is an old color print or hand tinted print that was printed on a textured paper. I'm sure it was scanned from reflective copy, in which case, the texture of the paper is scanned in as well. You may try putting the copy at an angle in the scanner. that may minimize the pattern.....or not,,,,,,

ronmatt .. thanks for quick reply ...

more information ... the original pic is 74 years old (give or take a year) .. I am told that the lady in the middle was a blonde and that her hair always went dark in photo's so this leads me to think that the original pic is colour photo not b&w tinted ... I am not a printer, or a photographer, and am definately not a guru (..lol.. ) so with this honeycombing I am somewhat lost .. have added another better image of honeycombing below ... hope this all helps someone post a solution to the prob .. regards nam

Back