What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

set 64 bit version to default

Hoogle

Guru
Ok So the other day I had to install photoshop 32 bit version for a certain plugin but since that has been installed everytime i open a psd or right click to open with photoshop, even if opening through Bridge it is opening by default the 32 bit version.

I have tried to set the default program to 64 bit through windows
I have edited my registry key under regedit to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe PhotoshopCS5\Photoshop.exe under the path line
I have deleted all photoshop registrys and created new 1s and yet my computer is still using the 32 bit version instead of 64 bit by default and I do not want to have to uninstall the 32 bit version as I do use it occassionally .

Does anybody know how to set photoshop 64 bit as the default version any other way that I have mentioned

Last edited:
How are you opening PS? The 32 bit is in Program Files (x86) the 64 bit in Program files, on a PC. Make a shortcut to the 64 bit. Change the file associations to the 64 bit exe.

I have done that and changed the file association if I click photoshop 64 bit on my taskbar it opens fine it is just if i double click a psd file or open with rightclick > open with photoshop even if I set photoshop 64 bit as default program it still opens in 32 bit. If I have photoshop open 64 bit version at the time and rightclick a psd and say open with photoshop it will open in the 64 bit version but if i double click a psd it will open up another instance of photoshop but with 32 bit so I have both versions open at the same time

I have done that apparantly if you install photoshop 32 bit after instalation of the 64 bit windows recognises it has being the most recent instalation and sets it to default however finding all the Hkeys and editing them is way to much work so just going to have to live with it or remove them all reinstall both of them and then spend over an hour reinstalling all my plugins and actions etc etc

in info window uncheck the 32 bit option ........is that what you need?n

Open Bridge then Preferences with Ctrl+K and go to File Type Associations.
Open the ones marked Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Browse to the 64 bit version.

I would start with PSD files and then test it out.

I am currently reinstalling it all I just upgraded to the cs5.5 master collection as I was impressed by after effects cs5.5 bit of a bummer to pay for some of it twice especially as photoshop is not changed but I wanted to move into using flash and fireworks so the $499 upgrade is not to bad with the extra programs still works out cheaper as I wanted the premiere and encore as well so will see if installing this will fix my problems

In case you haven't solved your problem, here's the solution to switching between using 32-bit and 64-bit Photoshop as default for Windows 7 that worked for me.

Open regedit.

Modify the following Default values from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\edit\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Photoshop.Image.12\DefaultIcon
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Photoshop.Image.12\protocol\StdFileEditing\server
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Photoshop.Image.12\shell\edit\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Photoshop.Image.12\shell\open\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Photoshop.Image.12\shell\preview\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Photoshop.Image.12\shell\print\command

Close regedit.

When you open up any file using "Open with" or double clicking on any psd associated file it'll open in 64-bit.

And vice versa if you want to swtch from 64-bit to 32-bit as default.

Back