What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shape Color Help!

slyfox

Hi Everyone:

I think I accidentally changed some settings in my photoshop (CS5 Version).

Whenever I create a new shape, I'm now unable to change the color of it. When I previously created a new shape, a box with color appeared at the top of the toolbar. (See attached photo with arrow pointing to said box). That box doesn't appear anymore and I can't figure out another way to change the shape color.

What can I do to get that box back?

Please help!

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 9
A color will only appear in the top tool bar when you set it to a shape layer. If you are just using the shape tool, the color will be the forground color.

Try resetting Photoshop's preferences file.
Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Thanks everyone!

iDad - I tried resetting the shapes tool a few times and nothing changed

hawkeye - i see what you're saying. previously, when i created a new shape, it became its own entity, a new layer. now i have to create a new layer and then create a shape. how do i re-set my settings so that when i create a new shape it automatically becomes a new shape?

Steve - I tried to hold down ctrl + alt + shift right when photoshop opened up. i tried it a few times and no dialogue box popped up. what am i doing wrong? i am using photoshop cs5

Thanks again everyone!

When you use the shape tool if you want the little colored box to show up you need to use shape layers. Otherwise you can just use the foreground to change the color in any case I brought up the shape tool and circled the shape layers option so you can see it here:

5-6-2011 11-31-28 PM.jpg

Awww shucks I'm not amazing I just like to play around a little with photoshop and find out how things work. You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Awww shucks I'm not amazing I just like to play around a little with photoshop and find out how things work. You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Come on don't be shy. ;)

slyfox said:
Steve - I tried to hold down ctrl + alt + shift right when photoshop opened up. i tried it a few times and no dialogue box popped up. what am i doing wrong? i am using photoshop cs5

Thanks to Carrie you don't need to reset the preferences file but if at some time in the future you need to, remember, don't hold down the keys and start PS, start PS and immediately when it starts to load hold down the keys.

Back