What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

softening edges........

mahado

Hi Guys

I'm trying to create a collage, will be my 10th high school anniversary soon and I really want to do this calmly before hand *ie. not in a rush as i do everything else*

the thing is i like this type of blending: photo blending type on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

but can't seem to replicate it with my own photos. I've tried reading up on various tutorials all over the net but most usually say to either use a soft eraser or vignette effect and i don't think the latter was used here and i tried the eraser and that just turned out ugly! Anyone with any suggestions on how to replicate this blending type. i tried the smudge tool but that too turned out badly *lol*

many many thanks for any help :)

P.S i know the guy is highlighted but not worried about that. look at the background and see how the images blend into one another, that's what I'm after and it keeps eluding me

My suggestion is to select the layer Then, Select>Modify>Feather
Depending on how much room you can I would put around 5-20, then with that new selection hit Apply Layer Mask, Bottom of layer palette, That will do all four edges, so if your doing a picture on the side of the canvas,
Do everything the same except use a WHITE BRUSH ON on the side of the image

Ah I know how to do that. Just use outer glow from layer effects and then change the color to white and modify the settings. :)

You could also try using the blur tool and try drawing around the image that you want to blend in with the background with the blur tool.

Hi Mark

Thank you for the reply. I don't understand this line though:

That will do all four edges, so if your doing a picture on the side of the canvas,

Could you please explain a little further, if you don't mind ?

Hi Mihai

thank you :) unfortunately i already tried that method out, doesn't work

hi photoshop tutor :)

lol, i blurred until my fingers were ready to fall off but it didn't blend into the image like I wanted in the example

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated :)

It MUST work. I did this kind of effect accidentally in an image and it looked almost like your example. I would try experimenting with the settings. :)

Edit: The advice I gave you was how to do a highlight like that person in the center. To blend the images one another I'd just use masks and use a brush with zero hardness. I think this might work. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mihai :)

I do know how to do the highlighting, it's the rest *the background blending* that i can't seem to do. would you please explain further about using masks and a brush with zero hardness ? I'd really appreciate it :)

Hi Mark

Thank you for the reply. I don't understand this line though:

That will do all four edges, so if your doing a picture on the side of the canvas,

Could you please explain a little further, if you don't mind ?

If an image is on the boarder of the canvas, and you do not want it to fade in the boarder; Use a WHITE BRUSH on the Layer Mask to have the fade disappear!

Does that help?

Hi Mihai :)

I do know how to do the highlighting, it's the rest *the background blending* that i can't seem to do. would you please explain further about using masks and a brush with zero hardness ? I'd really appreciate it :)

Hey Mahado, how come you don't know it? :cheesygrin:

Back