What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent bkgrnd not so transparent

JoshN

Having a problem in getting my .psd's to save to another file type (png and jpeg) and still keep the transparent background.

I'm trying to use this as a sig file on another forum, but with their gray background, the white in the image really looks tacky. ;\

JoshN said:
but with their gray background, the white in the image really looks tacky

I don't think I understand you Josh. I thought that the white part is what you wanted to be transparent, so how can it look tacky when it IS transparent? [confused]

Huh? Oh wait... The bottom pic is the psd, the top is the png. Whenever I save the psd to png/jpeg, the transparent background turns to a white background. Yup, I've starting out with a transparent background, as you can see in the bottom pic.

I want the white space on the png to be transparent, so that whenever the png is viewed on different colored backgrounds, all you see is the actual sig, not the sig surrounded by a white block.

For an example, see here.

That help?

P.S. JoshN You cannot save as a jpeg and retain transparency.;)

Gaussian, I don't believe I had that option. PS 5.5 here.

wbis, ok with the jpeg, but what about the png? Should I use gif instead?

Saving as gif doesn't look so good. See the jagged edges?

EDIT: It does look like the transparency worked out though. WIth the gray background on my post no white is seen.

JoshN, you should the have the transparent option if you are saving it as a gif

I posted a little bit too late on that one[confused]

I'm sorry, I should have known that gif was the one to use. But is there a way to get rid of the jagged edges?

The only thing i can think of is to paint a lighter colored pixel along the side of the jagged edge. Use the pencil tool to do it.

in the famous words of our Gaus............. (cough) Matte (cough) he he he go save for web then in the Matte pick a colour - you probably have it set to none right now - see image below
sfm

Good job there helping JoshN out Sue! ;) I guess that Gauss has been snoozing this afternoon? :\

In any event, I'm glad to see that you've been all sorted out JoshN! :)

I had to be quick to do a Gauss impersonation he he he
glad it worked for you Josh
sfm

Back