What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

URGENT: would you say this was a good photo?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
got my AS Graphics hand in tomorrow, and I need to know if this particular photo is a "compositionally good" one.

IMGP7041.jpg

Use the rule of thirds. Take it from further away the dog to the right and maybe looking left. If u dont see the dogs face there isnt much to this picture.

Sent from my Fortress of Solitude.

it's too tight around the face on the right, making it a bit claustrophobic, it also needs to be processed more, it's cold, flat, and underexposed.

however, the main issue is the lack of a interesting subject. my eye is drawn to the oof person in the upper left about as much as the dog. it also shows a very plain borring view of the dog's head.

i think an interesting possibility would be using the ears of the dog kind of like a gun sight, and framing something else with them. you could even just cut out the head from this picture, and through it in front of another.

fair enough then, i'll keep what you said about the ears in mind for next time we decide to take Roxy on a 20k walk to and along the beach it seems quite an interesting idea! ;)

am i looking for something a bit more like this only more rule of thirdish:?
IMGP7145.jpg
it wasn't the best of days to go on a photo hunt, nor do I know why aperture priority is consistently under exposing.

I might put this through PS later on. I need sleep, thank you both

Last edited:
If I know an image has been flipped, my brain automatically thinks it looks weird, because I know it should be facing the other way.

I'm no photographer but personally from this photo I would prefer to see it made into something like this.
IMGP7145 copy.jpg

You may not take the perfect photo but it may be able to be made into one.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting discussion. I like this photo. Well done Zee. I do agree it needs to be cropped. If not as much as stric9 did and I like that, at least some. The dog will be better emphasized if he is larger and there isn't much to lose from the BG. I agree with Dataflow and I also like what he did (added a levels adj. too?). Even without having read such a thing, I just get the feeling that it's more right, no pun intended, for the subject - if in profile or 3/4, etc. - to face right. It has most to do I think with the direction of the eyes. So a face could be turned over a shoulder but if the eyes are looking in the opposite direction, blah blah blah.

As for the first pic, it's got some possibilites like carson said! But it's a kind of cool shot. Even though it hasn't much interest as a composition (it is too tight on the right), it's an interesting perspective/POV of the shepherd's ears. Personally, I wouldn't use them as a gun sight, lol.

Aren't German Shepherds just the greatest dogs? I've had 2 and one day will have another (have a 15 pounder at the moment).

Last edited:
I used to have a GS i named him jake, big bugger full of fur and paws like a grizzly bear

Interesting discussion. I like this photo. Well done Zee. I do agree it needs to be cropped. If not as much as stric9 did and I like that, at least some. The dog will be better emphasized if he is larger and there isn't much to lose from the BG. I agree with Dataflow and I also like what he did (added a levels adj. too?). Even without having read such a thing, I just get the feeling that it's more right, no pun intended, for the subject - if in profile or 3/4, etc. - to face right. It has most to do I think with the direction of the eyes. So a face could be turned over a shoulder but if the eyes are looking in the opposite direction, blah blah blah.

As for the first pic, it's got some possibilites like carson said! But it's a kind of cool shot. Even though it hasn't much interest as a composition (it is too tight on the right), it's an interesting perspective/POV of the shepherd's ears. Personally, I wouldn't use them as a gun sight, lol.

Aren't German Shepherds just the greatest dogs? I've had 2 and one day will have another (have a 15 pounder at the moment).
haha thanks for the comment here Clare :D i do think i will be keeping everyone's advice in mind and when i take her for a walk again I'll put it into practice and experiment a little, i did have a really good one but the camera focused on the body and not the dog's eyes.

and GSDs are just gorgeous I'd never settle for another dog ever.

Such a cute boy there by the way, This little girl's called Roxy and she's 8 months old, she's not the smartest but she's very strong and EXTREMELY cuddly!

Last edited:

Back