What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using less RAM

Hey guys, I'm making a map via Photoshop and I'm noticing that when using a numerous amounts of text and icons, it's causing my computer to use a lot of memory, thus making it rather sluggish and low. Is there any suggestions that you guys might offer than could help? I'm using each font and icon on their own separate layer for efficient editing. Perhaps if I just use one layer for text and one layer for the icons?

I'm not sure if it will affect your RAM use but if you shut off the layers, while you're working on others, that might help, I have never even considered that before. It's worth a shot

There's a recent thread here that addressed the same text problem.

PS has the tendency to be sluggish the more text (not the icons) items you have in the document. Unless you can upgrade right now with more RAM or a powerful cpu, there's nothing you can do about it. Even then, it's not a guarantee.

Clicking out the layer may help but if you need to see what your edit looks like in relation to the other hidden layers, you're back with the PS hiccup.

Having all the text in one layer makes matters worse. In the thread I mentioned, the user decided to shift his image work to Illustrator which worked better with the text which incidentally comprises roughly 300,000 characters.

I can suggest rasterizing the text. This will ease the PC crunching. The downside is you can't edit the text. And even if you rasterize a copy of the text layer, the problem will still be there and made even worse because you have a bigger image file for PS to work with (original text layer + raterized copy = more data in saved file).

If this works for you then save the rasterized text document as a copy. In that way, if you need to edit the text contents, delete that layer, open the original and drag the corresponding layer into the work document.

Back