What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Working with DXFs

Aron

Sorry... but I'm completely new to Illustrator. I know Corel, but that's not what my company uses. Anyway - In Illustrator I need to open a DXF that was exported from a CAD system, then select the outline shapes and do a gradient stipple fill. I'm guessing I need to select the line segments and join them first to create the area to be filled, but I can't seem to figure out how to join them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Without seeing exactly what you are working with I can only guess. Two suggestions:
The Pathfinder function can be used to join shapes in different ways.
The Shape Builder tool to selectively connect areas.

Thanks... I'll give it a shot. Can't share any pictures because they haven't loaded my software yet. I've been "borrowing" someone else's workstation to try to get this done when they can spare it. Hopefully soon...

Yeah, I'm much more comfortable in Corel, but the company I work for has a very strict policy on validating software and Illustrator is already in house. Thanks for the link. I took a quick look and it seems there's a lot of info in there that will really help me out. It's going to take a while to read thru it all but I really appreciate it!

You're welcome.

As hawkeye mentioned the Pathfinder and Shape builder tools are highly effective. Get acquainted with those and it will speed up your workflow.

Thank you all for your help. I was able to select and join the line segments using your advice above. Now here's my next step: I need to shade my outlined shapes. The example below is what I'm trying to mimic. The difference being this photo shows a screen printed item, and mine will be laser etched. According to my laser guy... his software will only import dxf. So what I'm trying to do is use a dot stipple and I'm guessing I need to somehow create that pattern and then apply a gradient to it? If you're interested, the item is an anodized aluminum tray that holds surgical instruments. I'm open to doing this in either Illustrator or Photoshop - as long as I can output it as a dxf.

Please let me know if you think this should be in a new thread. Thanks again for all your help.

tray2.JPG

Attachments

• tray2.JPG
    tray2.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 8

Back