What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i copy this lighting effect? (Pic attached)

easybullet3

Hi,
i am a medium-level user on photoshop.

How can I re-create this 'professional look' so that my personal images look more professionally lighted ?

basically: the pic attached looks like its from a cover of a professional magazine, (like TIME or New Scientist).

how does one achieve this professional colour/lighting ?
(i am not talking about the gritty look on his face. I am talkiing more about the general professional look/lighting of this image).

i appreciate your help ;)
Thanks ;)

example jay letto2.jpg

Last edited:

easybullet3

What sort of lighting equipment do u own or have access to?

Tom M
Hi Tom:
I'm just taking pics (outdoors) with a semi-pro Nikon Camera. (no lighting equipment).. this is for personal photos.
the images are nice already, but i'm really just trying to work out how to to the final touches in photoshop to make it look like a magazine cover.. (ie: the pic i attached to my original post).

Last edited:

easybullet3

This look is a mix of high contrast , high pass , and desaturate colors

interesting ;)
I just tried adding contrast and reducing saturation and it already started making some of my pics look more in the direction of what i want :)
i had no idea what HIGH PASS was,, so i googled it...
I duplicated the layer and added some HIGH PASS to the layer BEHIND.
and then I played with the OPACITY of the top layer until I reached the desired look.

is that more-a-less correct ?

Thanks Jose ;)

also: if you read this: (off-topic), what tools/filters should I use for making someones face/complexion look less worn, and more plastic-perfect ?
you can just name the filters and I will go forth and learn how to use them ;)

again, thanks for the 1st comment ;)

Tom Mann

Guru
... I'm just taking pics (outdoors) with a semi-pro Nikon Camera. (no lighting equipment).. ... i'm really just trying to work out the final touches in Photoshop to make it look like a magazine cover.. (ie: the pic i attached to my original post).
Sorry, but that just isn't going to happen.

The guys who take pictures that get on magazine covers didn't buy dozens of different lights, softboxes, umbrellas, scrims, flags, and other lighting modifiers just to impress people. They essentially were forced to buy that gear because that it's absolutely necessary to make their pictures look "magazine cover quality".

Nor do they like splitting their income with a bunch of assistants who must be paid to accompany them on location shots and set up and man the lighting equipment. If they could do achieve most of the look "in Photoshop", without lighting gear, I can assure you that they would. Watch some of the TV shows that describe how Sports Illustrated cover photos are made, and pay attention to how many of the assistants are dealing with the lighting.

To my eye, 80% of the look in the example you posted was done in-camera with appropriate lighting equipment, and 20% of the look was due to post processing in PS.

So, if you're just starting out ...

First, don't set your goals too high. Your example shot probably used at least three, and more likely 4 or 5 lights. If you want to learn lighting, that example photo is way too complicated to start with. (BTW, the goal of good lighting is to make it look like no lights were used.)

Instead, start simple by adding just a couple of reflectors to your outdoors shots and learn how to use them. Google terms like {reflectors outdoor portraits}, and you will come up with loads of great tutorials like this:
http://digital-photography-school.com/reflectors-secret-weapon-amazing-portrait-photography/

HTH,

Tom M

MikeMc

McGuru
As the norm, Tom is spot on. Your lighting setup before pushing the button has to be correct. Many hours are spent learning lighting and shadow positioning. Multiple lights, reflectors and scrims can be used.If you want to learn lighting, find a quality seminar taught by a working pro.

My buddy Pat is one of those guys....here is his blog, read up and see where he is teaching.

http://pmrphoto.blogspot.com/

easybullet3

The guys who take pictures that get on magazine covers didn't buy dozens of different lights, softboxes, umbrellas, scrims, flags, and other lighting modifiers just to impress people. They essentially were forced to buy that gear because that it's absolutely necessary to make their pictures look "magazine cover quality".

To my eye, 80% of the look in the example you posted was done in-camera with appropriate lighting equipment, and 20% of the look was due to post processing in PS.

So, if you're just starting out ...

First, don't set your goals too high. Your example shot probably used at least three, and more likely 4 or 5 lights. If you want to learn lighting, that example photo is way too complicated to start with. (BTW, the goal of good lighting is to make it look like no lights were used.)

Instead, start simple by adding just a couple of reflectors to your outdoors shots and learn how to use them. Google terms like {reflectors outdoor portraits}, and you will come up with loads of great tutorials like this:
http://digital-photography-school.com/reflectors-secret-weapon-amazing-portrait-photography/

Tom M

As the norm, Tom is spot on. Your lighting setup before pushing the button has to be correct. Many hours are spent learning lighting and shadow positioning. Multiple lights, reflectors and scrims can be used.If you want to learn lighting, find a quality seminar taught by a working pro.

My buddy Pat is one of those guys....here is his blog, read up and see where he is teaching.

http://pmrphoto.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much guys for your info.
I looked at the links you supplied and already on my way to learning about lighting (Pre-Shooting).

I appreciate the replies you gave me :)

==========

PS: Please ignore the new images.
I have opened up a NEW topic to cover this.

Attachments

• airbrushed-face.jpg
    airbrushed-face.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1
  • asian girl.jpg
    asian girl.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: