What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions about a pro photo

stranger

Hi , i have questions about this image
423226_10150701741875399_22250015398_11451445_783551812_n.jpg
what's the minimum resolution of the cam i can use to take a photo close to this ?
what's the actions and filters used ?
thank you :)

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi stranger, welcome to PSG. I can't believe no one has your user ID already. Cool.

I don't have the answer for you, but hang out, someone will come online. We have a lot of photographers who can give you a knowledgeable response.

thedirtyknapkin

Power User
you shouldnt worry about resolution, that image is pretty small anyways

you should worry about three things: physical dimensions of sensor, quality of optics, and lighting

the size of the sensor determines the size of the pixels, which in turn determines the dynamic range of the image, or the contrast per pixel

the quality of optics determines the sharpness, and contrast

the lighting is really the key in any picture though. you can take amazing pictures with an iphone if you have perfect lighting

so dont worry about resolution, the whole thing is really just an advertising gimmick for cheap cameras.

to answer your root question, about what camera you should get, you would need a professional full frame camera, with a professional glass lens. but none of that matters if you dont have the skill and knowledge of lighting, and composition.

in the end it's not really the camera that makes a picture, it's the perso behind it.

stranger

Hi stranger, welcome to PSG. I can't believe no one has your user ID already. Cool.

I don't have the answer for you, but hang out, someone will come online. We have a lot of photographers who can give you a knowledgeable response.
Hahaha and so i'm :D
Ok um waitin' , thank u :)

Hoogle

Guru
It is not the resolution of the camera that counts it is how you use it and knowing how it works.

Admittedly this has used a DSLR camera with a good lens hence you get more depth in a picture rather than a point and shoot.

The thing that make this picture and any other pro picture is the lighting they use an off camera lighting system and judging by the hot spots in this image they have used a couple of flashes with light mdifiers on ie a brolley or softbox.

The resolution effects picture size but you could take photos like this on a set up for less than $1000 with lights and lenses

But the key is education and knowing how to take these pics I could babble off lots of camera settings but when it comes to recreating it yourself it will be different unless you have exact same camera exact same ambient lighting and exact same off camera lighting and modifiers.

stranger

you shouldnt worry about resolution, that image is pretty small anyways

you should worry about three things: physical dimensions of sensor, quality of optics, and lighting

the size of the sensor determines the size of the pixels, which in turn determines the dynamic range of the image, or the contrast per pixel

the quality of optics determines the sharpness, and contrast

the lighting is really the key in any picture though. you can take amazing pictures with an iphone if you have perfect lighting

so dont worry about resolution, the whole thing is really just an advertising gimmick for cheap cameras.

to answer your root question, about what camera you should get, you would need a professional full frame camera, with a professional glass lens. but none of that matters if you dont have the skill and knowledge of lighting, and composition.

in the end it's not really the camera that makes a picture, it's the perso behind it.

Thank u so much for this great information :)
but what about the filters and actions used in this photo cause the actions i have
make the photo weird and not like that :)

stranger

see my previous post, i guess we replied at the same time
yeah i saw it after i finished mine :D
It is not the resolution of the camera that counts it is how you use it and knowing how it works.

Admittedly this has used a DSLR camera with a good lens hence you get more depth in a picture rather than a point and shoot.

The thing that make this picture and any other pro picture is the lighting they use an off camera lighting system and judging by the hot spots in this image they have used a couple of flashes with light mdifiers on ie a brolley or softbox.

The resolution effects picture size but you could take photos like this on a set up for less than $1000 with lights and lenses

But the key is education and knowing how to take these pics I could babble off lots of camera settings but when it comes to recreating it yourself it will be different unless you have exact same camera exact same ambient lighting and exact same off camera lighting and modifiers.

Thank u very much I'll read it again and again to understand every word :D

Hoogle

Guru
Actions are a quick fix but yet are very inconsistant they effect colours in the image so if you are using an action on a dark photo it will be very different from a sunny picture.

Actions can be usefull however I would reccomend investing in a good plugin or software like Adobe Lightroom especially as this years release is half the price of last version @ $79 it is designed specifically for photographers and even easier to use now.

The only thing is digital darkroom processing still needs a good picture to begin with you cant turn a bad picture into something great well not on most occassions.

A typical photography session for me would take anything up to 1000 pictures 950 of them could easily be throw aways. But with practice and education you soon learn how to compose your image get roughly the right camera settings and get enough digital enhancement knowledge to turn your photos into something greater than they were.

you can teach composition and the theory of light but I have seen people with very little knowledge produce fantastic photos because they have a natural eye for composition. And then I have seen pro photographers make the same mistakes as someone picking up the camera for the 1st time.

If you are into photography dont limit yourself to 1 style play around and see what you naturally lean to and then start learning 1area and expanding it. once you understand 1 area you should be able to advance in to other areas very easily.

The hardest part for me to learn was portrait photography because it is so different to landscape. Landscape you are really forced to count on natural ambient lighting longer shutter speeds and a wider knowledge of depth of field.

Portrait can be all artificial you can use lights to eliminate ambient lighting you use faster shutter speeds and you have to learn lighting setups. Use better lenses and take control of posing your model.