What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge 12.. Manipulate an image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkpad.t

Guru
Hi Everyone and thank YOU so much for voting for me...

As most of you know since I've been here on PSG my main aim is to learn mainly about all aspects of manipulation.. ( Hopefully getting better, "i wish" ).

Now this has more than likely been done over and over before as a challenge ... but as there are constant new members joining i thought i would keep within the manipulation area ..

The things that i like about manipulations most is attempting at getting an image to blend in with other images, you start to lean about adding colors,gradients, photo filters, color balance, vibrancy, blending modes and much more, as well as changing the image shapes, perspective, distortion etc etc.. all of which teach you how to use so many tools within Photoshop.

So... Your Challenge is to take this image below and manipulate it in any way you wish, add it to something, change it's shape and turn into something. make it part of something.

tower.png

Make it into stalagmites in a cave. hang it upside down in a cave and have little green men coming from it.. Put it in an underwater futuristic scene, put it on a bleak landscape and see what it could be, make it part of a sci-fi scene, make a part of an exhaust on a motorcycle ( i actually thought of doing the motorcycle myself and also using it to form a shell for the tank , but did something else ), OR ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF.

Here is what i did with it to make it part of a surreal fantasy image.

fantasy 2.jpg

Hope you have fun doing a manipulation.

I don't really know how long to set the challenge for but would say Fri the 05-07-13. and you can submit as many manipulations as you wish whether a simple or complex image.

But most of all have fun ... Thank you all.

Looks good hershy314...

By the way folks.. the cut of date is in English format.. which is the 05-July.. 2013... sorry for any confusion.. oh .. Midnight that is.

Please note: this is GMT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hay..SPWA..

Don't worry about what your image looks like... the challenge isn't really about who dos the best looking image ( not for me anyway ),

Its about using some of Photoshop tools and tricks , getting use to doing things like maybe using the warp tool, a displacement map, color blending and things like that..

You could use the image a gave for the challenge for something like ..... 2 x stanchions for a suspension bridge over a river...

2 x handle bars on bike. I'm not quite sure what they are called but one idea i had was to use them as some under water vents you see in deep water...

You could do 3 x copies of it to give you 4 images, make a box and use them in each corner, extend them ( by which ever means you like of manipulation ) to almost meet each other ...then put some sea shells on top. maybe some corral where they meet, and then put an underwater image in the middle and hey presto you just made a frame for any sea related image...you could put sea nets around them, even a ships steering wheel. or a combination of everything where the 4 x tower shapes meet.

Doesn't matter what your image image looks like friend.. just the taking part and doing something that might be challenging to you.. hence why its called a challenge..

Hope you do one and have fun doing it.....

Pasta......thats what I see at dinner time....Hmmmmmmm :idea:

UpDate...12 multi hued layers dudes.........

Last edited:
My be it's the type of challenge everyone done before and not enough interest, may be should have made the challenge a bit more interesting.

Something like how to use a texture over or in an image, maybe using displacement maps, overlays and such...

Bah, ok, this is what I did, but not very well. Couldn't get it to gel, and the color is off a bit. but I'm sure you can imagine how I wanted it to look if you squint a bit.. and maybe drink some beer 1st.

Wizards-Window.png

just got back from fiji from holidays at the shangrala resort so the challenge took a back seat, i would recommend it to anyone , very very good but definitely pre pay your meals which i did , awesome and got some great photos

happy with my new camera but its not great in poor light thank god for ps haha , ill post a couple when i get home

just got back from fiji from holidays at the shangrala resort so the challenge took a back seat, i would recommend it to anyone , very very good but definitely pre pay your meals which i did , awesome and got some great photos

happy with my new camera but its not great in poor light thank god for ps haha , ill post a couple when i get home
shoot in *.raw with a higher iso and ps raw editing will do the charm ;)

Finally. This is about idea 5 I think. Worked on a couple and didn't care for them. One I might make into a comical representation. But here's what I'll go with for now.

TOWER_30sLady2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Emelia, welcome to the forum. Your husband Grant/Sinner/SPWA told me the spam-omatic wouldn't post your thread! Thing has a mind of its own!

Nice entry Grant. I'm with hershy: it reminds me of something . . . :mrgreen:

2nb5z53.jpg

But the only thing i could think of. Fairly happy with it, not too happy with the burn tool job on the chimneys. But its one of my first ever photoshops. Pretty proud of it. :mrgreen:

Messed around with a few color lookups. This was def the best i felt.
2z5qafp.jpg

Some of those color look ups sure can show up some mistakes :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back