What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's going on with Challenge participation????

MrToM

Guru
I don't see why the staff cannot enter.

By all means exclude them from being in the vote but as the submissions are now 'anonymous' until voting starts I don't see the problem.

At the moment its the usual suspects.....minus the last challenge winner.

Something has to change to get more people interested.

Just my 2¢

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Challenge #41: Submission thread - Create Your Own Colorful Sneakers Poster

I don't see why the staff cannot enter. By all means exclude them from being in the vote but as the submissions are now 'anonymous' until voting starts I don't see the problem.
The problem is that the staff can view the submissions. It would not be fair to those of you who can't see them, especially if said staff member was to win.

I will say this..................this matter is under discussion. We hope to find a solution.

MrToM said:
At the moment its the usual suspects.....minus the last challenge winner.
No...........right now it's just Eggy. I'm not sure where the usual suspects are at this time.

MrToM said:
Something has to change to get more people interested.
I totoally agree...............any suggestions?

We have many new members that are actively participating in the forum but have shown any interest in the challenges. Any of you new guys care to offer up reasons or maybe some ideas?

MrToM

Guru

...The problem is that the staff can view the submissions. It would not be fair to those of you who can't see them, especially if said staff member was to win...
Which is why I said 'exclude them from being in the vote'...no reason they cannot join in.

...I will say this..................this matter is under discussion. We hope to find a solution...
OK.

...No...........right now it's just Eggy. I'm not sure where the usual suspects are at this time...
I meant generally, not specifically.

...I totoally agree...............any suggestions?...
Put it back how it was, there was much more interest before it all changed. (Although the anonymity is a good move.)

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Which is why I said 'exclude them from being in the vote'...no reason they cannot join in.
Agreed............but why join in if we don't stand a chance of winning.................at least for me.

MrTom said:
Put it back how it was, there was much more interest before it all changed. (Although the anonymity is a good move.)
Unless I'm missing something, the only major change was the anonymity. So putting the challenge back the way it was is just a matter of doing away with the anonymity, the rest of the challenge is mostly the same.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, I personally don't think the structure of the challenge is the problem, I think it's something different altogether. I certainly have my suspicions. This is why I want to hear reasons why other members are not participating.

Helios

Sorry guys, I've just had other things on this time round. Sometimes I get hit with a great idea for responding to the challenge as soon as it gets posted, and sometimes I don't. I'm having a think about this current one at the moment.

As for the discussion at hand:
Sam, I think what Tom meant about staff being 'excluded from the vote' is that staff are just not allowed to vote, rather than their submissions being excluded altogether. Other people could vote for them. Even if I'm not correct on that, could it be a good compromise?

The structure and anonymity of the challenges is absolutely fine from where I'm standing - it's regular and consistent enough without taking over anyone's life. However, I still personally feel that there is not enough said about them elsewhere on the forum. New members might not even be seeing them, let alone feeling that they are welcome to take part.
It's a regular thing that takes place here, so it deserves a permanent top of the front page spot: 'HEY! Here's this month's challenge! Come and take part!'. I don't know how this can be achieved with the current forum software, but I think it will help a great deal if it can be figured out.
How about a button in the header. Would that be possible? Heck maybe one of the challenges coming up could be 'design a header button for the challenges'. ;)

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...I think what Tom meant about staff being 'excluded from the vote' is that staff are just not allowed to vote, rather than their submissions being excluded altogether...
Sorry Helios but no, I mean excluded FROM the vote....they may enter, and when the Poll starts we may see their submission BUT their names ARE NOT in the voting poll.....otherwise people could vote for them and they could potentially win.

Staff members could still, as hopefully they do now, cast their vote....just not be voted for.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I still personally feel that there is not enough said about them elsewhere on the forum. New members might not even be seeing them, let alone feeling that they are welcome to take part.
It's a regular thing that takes place here, so it deserves a permanent top of the front page spot: 'HEY! Here's this month's challenge! Come and take part!'. I don't know how this can be achieved with the current forum software, but I think it will help a great deal if it can be figured out.
As it stands, the Photoshop Contest's has it's own sub-forum under the topic of Photoshop and Graphic Design Showroom so it's highly visible.
Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 7.57.30 AM copy.png

Within the Photoshop Contests sub-forum, with the exception of today and because of this thread we're in................the actual Challenge thread is always the second in line to the top of the sub-forum.
Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 8.06.03 AM copy.png

Now we could certainly make it a sticky, but so far, we've not seen a need to do so for the reason explained above.

I think part of the problem is that most members don't actually visit the forums by using the main topics page. Most use the Activity stream (new posts) or "Today's Posts" (a search function) to view current posts. So, any posts made to a Challenge thread are pushed down the queue and are not visible............out of sight, out of mind. This is where we would need to use an annoying "bump" process to keep the thread at the top of the queue.

So, as you stated, we are somewhat limited by the forum software.

For me, the biggest thing you stated was...........the challenges are a regular thing here in the forum. Any new members who spends more than a month or so on the forum (which most do) know about the challenges. Yet, they don't participate in the challenges or the voting process. They won't even respond to this thread. I'm at a loss here. All I would like to know is why?

I would like to add..................you can PM any of the staff members with your reasons if you don't want to state them publicly.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
By the way Helios.............Thank you very much for sharing! I really appreciate your input.

I don't want you to think I was coming down on you! You made some great points that I felt needed to be addressed. I deeply apologize if I sounded any other way than grateful.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would also like to point out that forum attendance is on the rise. We are getting 12+ members (average) joining the forum daily. In the past 7 days, we've had around 120 new registrations.

Right now there are 21 members online.......

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 8.51.40 AM.png

Let's see if we can get some responses!!!!!

Helios

As it stands, the Photoshop Contest's has it's own sub-forum under the topic of Photoshop and Graphic Design Showroom so it's highly visible.
View attachment 66980

I see this, but my point was more that I don't think this is visible enough - it's too far down the page and gets a bit lost amongst all the other forums.
But this is just my two pence, I just suggest that there is a link to it that's visible and accessable from anywhere in the forum. This would ensure everyone sees it, no matter which page they have bookmarked for the forums.

For me, the biggest thing you stated was...........the challenges are a regular thing here in the forum. Any new members who spends more than a month or so on the forum (which most do) know about the challenges. Yet, they don't participate in the challenges or the voting process. They won't even respond to this thread. I'm at a loss here. All I would like to know is why?

The only reason I can think of is that a lot of the new members that arrive here often start in their introduction posts by stating that they are novices or complete newbies to PS. Even if they stick around long enough to notice the challenges, they might simply feel they are not competent enough to take part, or make a judgement on the work of someone who has. I would love to see more people of all abilities taking part and being encouraged by the process.
Perhaps the challenges could be pushed as a way to test out their new found knowledge from their time here on the forums? Make it clear also that the voting process simply comes down to which one you like best, and is completely anonymous as to who voted for what.

And no worries about your response - I think this kind of discussion is healthy and helpful. Let's hope some positive changes come out of it. :)

Last edited:

Helios

I don't necessarily think it's the fault of your challenge idea Chris - remember we are still in summer, people aren't around so much. In fact, September is another of those times a lot of people have other priorities in life - getting the kids back to school, going away on holiday because the kids have gone back to school... ;)

For my part, I've been spending all my time on the new World of Warcraft expansion that just got released. :redface:

Last edited:

Leo_The_Lip

Helios hit the nail on the head: Summer time.

For me and mine, there was lots of traveling including a cruise. Plus my new camera to take and then process well over 5000 images--not eve close to being done with those.

I actually downloaded the images for the current contest but all those chores that didn't get done had to be completed, so perhaps next time.

Hoogle

Guru
Forum Traffic is not an issue, but you have to remember most of the traffic is people coming here to get something done. I tried getting more things incorporated into the forum a while back, such as Blogs, Guest tutorials from well known people etc, but like anything new here is gets pushed aside and never implemented.

As for the challenges and why they are failing is because they are to specific, rarely little open to Artist impression, Popular challenges will always be based upon a Generic theme and left to artist impression.

FOr example no disrespect to people involved the current challenge I believe is use a picture of a shoe and create art with it, this is so limiting to people, Where as if you had a challenge just simply named Big Cats and that is the only guideline you need, people can manipulate lion pictures with tigers, do a Digital painting or anything they want. I think challenges need to be given a title theme and that is it. As they develop people will get more and more involved, remove the hidden side to it, let people bounce of each other ideas use it to inspire yourself etc.

I suggest you only have 12 themes 1 for each month and repeat the themes each year.

so July can be Celebration, October can be Halloween December christmas etc and then the other months can be People, Wildlife, Landscape, Space etc......

Rich54

Guru
I guess there are two reasons I’m not participating: (1) I’m a huge tennis fan and for the past two weeks I’ve spent my waking life watching and attending endless hours of the US Open. (2) Many of the challenges, including this one, are not really my cup of tea. Often they are a bit too specific for me, where I feel that I’m limited in what I can attempt. (If you remember, I inadvertently stretched the rules of the last challenge.) As I interpret the current challenge, you cannot import or draw any other images, so all that seems to remain is to create patterns, textures and colors on or behind these sneaker drawings, which is not really my thing. I get much more satisfaction from the free request forum, executing difficult edits requiring photographic realism (or as best as my ability will allow).

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if I can’t incorporate pudgy, middle-aged nudists into the image, life just isn’t worth living.

Edit: By the way, I'm fully in favor of allowing all the gurus, administrators, etc. to participate in challenges.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Traffic is not an issue, but you have to remember most of the traffic is people coming here to get something done.
Traffic is an issue. And thanks, I do remember that some of the traffic is people coming here to seek help or have Ps work done. I'm referring to the rest of the traffic that is here, logged in every day, some participating in the forum on a regular basis but not participating in the challenges. I have no expectation that they are in any way obligated to participate in the forum, much less challenges. I would like them to at least offer some suggestions or ideas that might help explain why they are not interested in participating and how we, as a forum, might generate some interest in the challenges.

Hoogle said:
As for the challenges and why they are failing is because they are to specific, rarely little open to Artist impression, Popular challenges will always be based upon a Generic theme and left to artist impression.
This is very helpful information thanks!

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, there are two principal reasons why I don't participate in the challenges;

1) I simply have too much on my platter. Even neglecting my responsibilities at home, (a) I need to keep my paying photography customers happy, and (b) near the top of my list of priorities is to be out in nature as much as possible, either hiking or backpacking. I do this both for aesthetic and health reasons. I feel like I sit (and have sat) in front of a computer for way too much of my life.

2) I realize that mine is an extreme point of view, and many, if not most people feel completely the opposite, but ever since I was a small child, I have never liked playing games of any sort, contests (physical or mental), etc.. To me, such activities seem like artificially constructed, time-wasting busy-work. In contrast, I absolutely love to receive real-world validation of my activities. Before I retired, this was seeing the success of my students at the university, and now, this feedback is (among other places) in the form of customers who will pay for my photography and photoshop services, helping people who come to PSG with specific, non-frivilous requests for work, or who come here because they are serious about learning PS and need some help in specific areas.

As the old Internet saying goes, YMMV, and I am well aware that just about everyone's mileage *always* differs from mine, LOL.

Cheers,

Tom M

Helios

I suggest you only have 12 themes 1 for each month and repeat the themes each year.

so July can be Celebration, October can be Halloween December christmas etc and then the other months can be People, Wildlife, Landscape, Space etc......

Thanks Hoogle, I hadn't actually considered the specificness of the challenges to be a turn-off factor. The couple of times I've come up with challenges, I had more considered the specifications as ways of ensuring fair play and to make it easier for people to choose a winner (if something is too subjective, I was concerned it might lead to a very split vote).

All that said, I now agree that maybe we should be opening things up a bit - in fact this has made me think that actually, coming up with challenges has been very hard. It almost doesn't feel like a 'reward' for being the winner, lol! So I am liking the idea of set themes. Concerning challenge rewards, I don't think anyone is particularly fussed, are they? The peer recognition is nice as it stands.
Maybe as a half way compromise (and to inject some variety each year), the winner of the challenge gets to pick a general, one word theme for the next one, but nothing more specific than that?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I agree with Hoogle and Helios, lowering the threshold by simplifying the specifications is a way to attract more participants.