What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resize image of me and Pyramids in Egypt

Paradise19

Hey guys,

I want to post this pic on social media but they have certain aspect ratios and I can't get all three pyramids to fit in the pic. I don't know what the term is but what can I do to 'shrink' the picture so that everything shows and can be posted on social media? Appreciate the edit! Thank you.

View attachment 4R6A3893.JPG

JazzyScotsman

Banned
I think the word you were searching for is 'scaling'. You want to scale this picture to fit a certain aspect ration. What I need to know, is what aspect ratio you need it to fit? 300x300? 150x200?

Paradise19

I think the word you were searching for is 'scaling'. You want to scale this picture to fit a certain aspect ration. What I need to know, is what aspect ratio you need it to fit? 300x300? 150x200?
Thanks for the quick response and for letting me know the word is scaling. Yes, I'd like to post it as a portrait and not landscape. I'm not sure about the aspect ratio. How can I find out what Facebook and Instagram's aspect ratio limitation is?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Depends on what size you want to make your image. The link provides dimensions.................what do you need your images dimensions to be?

Paradise19

Depends on what size you want to make your image. The link provides dimensions.................what do you need your images dimensions to be?

Instagram shows it needs to be an aspect ratio of 4:5 so that would be good. The link you provided says pics on facebook should be 476px wide and up to 714px tall. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You image is large so it will have to be resized. Sometimes resizing also includes cropping the image.

Go to IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE > set your width to 1080 and hit OK/enter.
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 8.38.33 PM.png

Note that the width is too long so now you will have to crop the image.
Now choose the the Crop Tool.
Hold down the Opt/Alt key and drag one of the side handles inwards until your readout reads 1350px
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 8.40.25 PM.png

Now your image should fit the dimensions.
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 8.49.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 8.40.37 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, I reversed the height and width.............but you get the idea.

By making the width 1080, the height would be 720. You can't stretch height to fit.

Paradise19

You image is large so it will have to be resized. Sometimes resizing also includes cropping the image.

Go to IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE > set your width to 1080 and hit OK/enter.
View attachment 86377

Note that the width is too long so now you will have to crop the image.
Now choose the the Crop Tool.
Hold down the Opt/Alt key and drag one of the side handles inwards until your readout reads 1350px
View attachment 86378

Now your image should fit the dimensions.
View attachment 86380
View attachment 86379
Thank you very much for showing me how to do that. I appreciate the time you took to help me out! I guess there's no way to include the third pyramid in there huh? I wish the person who took the picture stood a bit further so that what I want now could have been achieved. Again, thank you for teaching me something new.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can use other methods like rectangles and clipping masks, free transform, then cropping to get the right size.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 9.05.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 9.05.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 9.05.38 PM.png

Paradise19

You can use other methods like rectangles and clipping masks, free transform, then cropping to get the right size.

View attachment 86381

View attachment 86382

View attachment 86383
Will give it a try shortly. Since I want to post it in portrait mode, I'm guessing I won't be able to have at least 2 pyramids showing. Landscape will do that. Thanks again for teaching me all this. I love learning new things in photoshop. Cheers!

Paradise19

I've tried using the content aware scale and the methods you listed above but can't get the picture in portrait mode with all 3 pyramids showing. I've seen similar images online and I don't know how people do it. Any other suggestions?

Argos

Guru
I'm too lazy to read all the texts... but if i understood correctly if you want to resize the image and still have the tree pyramids with you not looking too small, you need to crop yourself ajust the background then add yourself.

That way it would look like the pyramid are a little bit farther.

Paradise19

Please explain and show some examples. Maybe I'm not understanding what your asking about.
These are two pics I came up with. You can see that everything is squeezed. But that is what I want to achieve (portrait pic with all 3 pyramids showing.

Attachments

• scalecomparison.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 4
  • scalecomparison2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5