What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Photo Needs Fix; it's bad & I can't fix it

Nick

I scanned a photo at 1200 resolution that was printed on glossy paper. Then I cropped a section of the photo with the girl
and enlarged it. It still ended up enlarged at about 350 resolution. On print out of my laser printer it came out horrible, at least
to me, with tiny lines going across the photo. I have tried using the photoshop noise reduction filter and adjusted different settings
in that filter with absolutely no effect.
Is there any way to fix this photo so that it can come out reasonably well. It doesn't have to be super perfect but the way
it is now is unacceptable. The photo is 1.68mb in size. I can sharpen it somewhat but it comes out lousy. It does look somewhat
better on the monitor then when printed. I also printed at a high resolution of 1200 but nothing helps. I am including the photo
with this message because I have given up any hope.
Thanks to anyone who can figure out the solution to fixing this photo.

Germany - CC photo.jpg

Glossy Paper/Scanner ???? ....
If you have a digital camera, You might try taking a picture and use the zoom to enlarge.
Watch the angle of the light

Thank you. I don't know how or why that would work but I will try it, though, when I think about it, isn't that just the same as scanning a photo. Why would a digital camera be any different? Also, don't digital cameras have a hard time taking good closeup photos.

Thanks,
I will print these three trys out tonight or early tomorrow morning and see how they come out and let you know which one is the best. It doesn't appear that there are any miracles here but I can't really tell 100 percent until I print it out.

Thanks,
I will print these three trys out tonight or early tomorrow morning and see how they come out and let you know which one is the best. It doesn't appear that there are any miracles here but I can't really tell 100 percent until I print it out.

My opinion for being a old photo it will not look bad at all, you're seeing the image in a large scale in this examples, smaller the print better it will look.

Cheers!

I have printed the first 3 attempts but not Aakhats and out of those three ZeroCool's was the best though he resized the photo to just under 3 by 2 and I had to size it back to the size I had and want at just under 6 by 5. There seemed to be some barely noticeable black streaks on the right side of the face but the overall photo was better than the other two and better than the 10 different prints I made which mostly had the problem of graininess and noise. Sharpness was not great but adequate but somehow ZeroCool's technique of removing the noise was excellent. Maybe Cool used a proper balance with the gausian blur. Maybe he could explain what he did. I haven't tried the camera photo technique yet but I guess I could see how it might blur the noise out better. I'll try that tomorrow.

But this photo was
excellent in removing the noise,

The magic of Neat Image plugin (the best one in the market if you ask me for reduce noise) + Copy layer and then a little of high pass.

PD: This plugin also exist for video.

Back