What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perspective Control in Photosohp CS6

JoeJ

Good evening.

Can anyone, please, let me have a straightforward method for perspective control in Photoshop CS6? If possible, step-by-step directions, without much technicalities.

I use an easy method, as follows, but its scope is rather limited, because it doesn't really straighten a leaning building

My method:- 1. Open the image which needs perspective adjustment.
2. Go to WINDOWS > LAYERS
3. Unlock the Background layer
4. Click on OK
5. Go to EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM
6. Right-click on the image, and then click on PERSPECTIVE.
7. Play about with the "handles" around hte image to adjust perspective.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Joe Busuttil

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Joe
In CS6 her is an alternative approach to start with.

- Open your raw image file in ACR. If not using raw files you can open JPEG and TIFF files directly in ACR by changing Preferences > Camera Raw and change the two options at bottom of panel to always open JPEGs and TIFFs in ACR first

- Use the Lens Correcton option to adjust perspectice vertically and/or horizontally and/or Distortion sliders.

- You can thn move on to Photoshop from ACR by clicking "Open Image" or if you want the ability to jump back to ACR you can opne the image as a Smart Object by holding the Shift key down and then selecting "Open Object" (same key location that just changes its label)

Hope that helps some
John Wheeler

JoeJ

Hi Joe
In CS6 her is an alternative approach to start with.

- Open your raw image file in ACR. If not using raw files you can open JPEG and TIFF files directly in ACR by changing Preferences > Camera Raw and change the two options at bottom of panel to always open JPEGs and TIFFs in ACR first

- Use the Lens Correcton option to adjust perspectice vertically and/or horizontally and/or Distortion sliders.

- You can thn move on to Photoshop from ACR by clicking "Open Image" or if you want the ability to jump back to ACR you can opne the image as a Smart Object by holding the Shift key down and then selecting "Open Object" (same key location that just changes its label)

Hope that helps some
John Wheeler

JoeJ

Thanks for your prompt reply re: Perspective in Photoshop CS6.

I have been trying your method, but unfortunately without success.

If I may ask a few questions to clarfiy your reply:-

1. What is meant by "a raw image file in ACR ? And what does ACR mean?
2. How to find Preferences > Camera Raw ? And what is meant by "Camera Raw"?

As I don't understand the above terms, I was unable to try out your solution.

Thank you for your patience with an 80-yr-old civil service pensioner.

Kind regards.

Joe Busuttil

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Joe
I am a little slow in responding with the US holiday weekend. No problem asking for more info.
So I can focus my response a bit for you here are a couple questions first
1) Do you use a Mac system or are you on a PC?
2) What is the file format of the images you are loading into Photoshop e.g. JPEG, TIFF, raw, etc

Also, ACR stand for Adobe Camera Raw. This software works in conjunction with Photoshop. ACR was originally used to edit images in raw format from cameras before having them passed on to Photoshop. It functionality is the same as what is n Adobe Lightroom software. With Photoshop CS6 you can also edit JPEG and TIFF files in ACR and take advantage of its editing features which I find quite intuitive and quite easy to make many types of adjustments (though not all) to images. It was so popular that in versions of Photoshop after CS8, Adobe made ACR accessible directly within Photoshop as a filter.

So even with the ease of use of its user interface, there is still some learning curve first. If that is not your cup of tea, then the approach you outlined is also how I fixed perspective.

John