What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you think this video is real?

David B.

"INSANE"!

That was just one of the comments on this new video.

Hold on to your hat and enjoy! :eek:

D.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
None of the backgrounds have been edited in. All locations exist. The only place I had questions about was in the very beginning with the Chinese statues, not sure where those are located.

EDIT: Mount Khan, Holingol Inner Mongolia
TerraCottaWarriorsMongolia.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How can you be so sure?
Because way back when you originally asked this question, everything I researched on this video suggested it was real. I have no reason to doubt that it wasn't.

Skies work on just about any surface not just snow.....................the main issue is what damage is done to the undersurface of the skies. If your not concerned, who cares what surface you ski on. Don'y limit your imagination because you only envision skies on snow.

MentosCubing

Power User
Here's a behind-the-scenes video.
All the skiing shots are real, but there's a CGI shot at the end for the big ski lift in the jungle. Also, some camera operators might have been removed in post production, because I think they should be able to see each other.
I know I'm a little late to this, but I thought that since there's a definite answer, I should share it.
However, it is not wise to assume that just because all the shown locations do really exist, surely the video must be real. Even in high-budget studios, flying people around the world just for video footage is expensive. You don't just have to fly the main talent around, you have to fly around all the camera operators, their equipment, etc. Filming these stunts on a green screen and adding in the background later would have cost far less and been much easier to pull off. That way you just need to fly a camera operator out to the location (or find one who already lives near there), get the footage you need, and do everything else from inside the studio. That also makes it easier to get great cinematic shots with smooth simulated camera movement. The camera operators wouldn't have to run to keep up with the skier; they could run at their own pace, get more stable footage, and speed it up in the final shot if they need to. The camera operators in this video had to do some very difficult stuff for this video. There's even a shot or two where the camera is in front of the skier, moving just as fast as he is to keep up with him, and I don't imagine it was easy to pull that off. If a studio wants to avoid that, the option of CGI and green screens is always available, even if the location really exists.
I'm not saying that they should have faked it; I'm just saying that they certainly could have, and there were several great reasons to.

David B.

Here's a behind-the-scenes video.
All the skiing shots are real, but there's a CGI shot at the end for the big ski lift in the jungle. Also, some camera operators might have been removed in post production, because I think they should be able to see each other.
I know I'm a little late to this, but I thought that since there's a definite answer, I should share it.
However, it is not wise to assume that just because all the shown locations do really exist, surely the video must be real. Even in high-budget studios, flying people around the world just for video footage is expensive. You don't just have to fly the main talent around, you have to fly around all the camera operators, their equipment, etc. Filming these stunts on a green screen and adding in the background later would have cost far less and been much easier to pull off. That way you just need to fly a camera operator out to the location (or find one who already lives near there), get the footage you need, and do everything else from inside the studio. That also makes it easier to get great cinematic shots with smooth simulated camera movement. The camera operators wouldn't have to run to keep up with the skier; they could run at their own pace, get more stable footage, and speed it up in the final shot if they need to. The camera operators in this video had to do some very difficult stuff for this video. There's even a shot or two where the camera is in front of the skier, moving just as fast as he is to keep up with him, and I don't imagine it was easy to pull that off. If a studio wants to avoid that, the option of CGI and green screens is always available, even if the location really exists.
I'm not saying that they should have faked it; I'm just saying that they certainly could have, and there were several great reasons to.
I watched this clip a few weeks ago.

Amazing. TRULY amazing performance and a great watch.

Thanks for sharing here in this thread for other folk to enjoy.