What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad habits?

MentosCubing

Power User
I thought it might be beneficial to some users if I started a thread where we can share bad habits we have when doing edits and how we can fix them.
For example, one of my habits that I think I need to fix is when I am doing multi-layer compositing, and I need an object to be behind another object, but come in front of the object in a different section. What you should do is duplicate the layer, move one of them to the top of the layer stack, and mask out the area you need to be in front. But sometimes I feel too lazy, so I just use the erase brush on the top layer to remove the part that should be behind the other layer. This works for a while, but but it doesn’t look very good, and if I need to move one of the layers later, the erased part is ruined and I have to start over.
Does anyone else have any bad habits they would like to share/correct? Perhaps another user can hear what you have to say and benefit from it, or help you to fix your habit.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This works for a while, but but it doesn’t look very good, and if I need to move one of the layers later, the erased part is ruined and I have to start over.
Never ever erase anything............always use editable layer masks.

As for bad habits.........................I need to learn Illustrator but I'm too lazy.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
In a rather complex composite and in the heat of the moment I tend to forget to name my layers...
A bit of a problem after 50+ layers...

polarwoc

Guru
It is best to clone a layer, select unwanted region, apply mask and name it as well - every single time a piece of a layer needs to be reused. Minimise usage of eraser tool.

One of my biggest bad habits is increasing the file size unnecessarily, thereby slowing my computer down. I tend to drag and drop so many images onto the work file even if I suspect I may use a part of the image from search engine. I may or may not use all images and the ones I don't need still remain part of the PSD file, bulking it up.
Another of my bad habits is not devoting PS enough time especially on so many tools that I am still unfamiliar with - examples are Dodge/Burn Tool, Blur/Sharpen/Smudge Tool, Slice Tool, Colour Sampler Tool, Colour Replacement Tool, Mixer Brush Tool, History Brush Tool.
If any of you use any of the above tools on a regular basis, please let me know what I am missing. I am probably using more time in doing things which can be done in a jiffy?

SCTRWD

Power User
I think it would rather be better to start "Good Habits" thread or "PS lifehacks" thread
Just to break the ice:
Blend mode Adjustment layer:
When you need to apply the layer to itself with another Blend mode many tuts suggest coping the layer and changing the Blend mode of the copy.
Another way is to create some Adjustment layer, say Levels, leave all parameters intact and change this Adjustment layer's Blend mode to the one you want.
This way you have a "Blend mode Adjustment layer" which effectes all the layers beneath, saves you from making a copy and lets you change the layers beneath freely any time you want.

I'm pretty sure there are lots of time-savers like this in anyones tool kit to share. So far we we've shared these PS-hacks only if and when were relevant to the specific topic at hand.

polarwoc

Guru
Another way is to create some Adjustment layer, say Levels, leave all parameters intact and change this Adjustment layer's Blend mode to the one you want.
This way you have a "Blend mode Adjustment layer" which effectes all the layers beneath, saves you from making a copy and lets you change the layers beneath freely any time you want.
Thanks for sharing this tidbit. I did not know this before and it could be useful in most occasions. However, when you are revisiting an old PSD file that has upwards of 20 layers and you see a Levels adjustment layer that is used for Blending mode only, it might confuse you - unless you name it appropriately. Something like "LevelsAdj - BlendingOnly".