What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brushes Wall texture

_alexbrandt_

Hello all,

I've got a picture of a building. I composited out some people who were sitting on a ledge. I'm having a hard time to recreate the wall texture and shade.
I'm pretty close but it’s not it yet. There is kind ofsmall smudge when I zoom back out.

I feel I'm not fully using the brushes and tools to its optimum.
What can I do ?

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 20.00.47.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 20.00.09.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You need to use the Clone Stamp Tool and sample from higher up on the wall. Your leaving out at least 2 mortar lines.

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 1.39.47 PM2.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 1.39.47 PM3.png

_alexbrandt_

You need to use the Clone Stamp Tool and sample from higher up on the wall. Your leaving out at least 2 mortar lines.

View attachment 95583
View attachment 95586

Hey Sam,
Yep, I see what you mean.

Two things, though.

1. As you can see the right part of the wall (below the window area and further) is darker because of shading.
When I clone stamped from above its lighter, this it created an unnatural border between the lighter area and the darker area.
How to fix that ? I tried stuff using the healing brush and using the "darken" mode.

2. The mortar intersections T is tough to manage. Any tricks ?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I clone stamped from above its lighter, this it created an unnatural border between the lighter area and the darker area.
How to fix that ?
This is where you use the Brush Tool with a stippling type brush (made of small squares). One tool will not do everything you want..........you have to get used to the idea that you can use more than one tool to accomplish a task.

The mortar intersections T is tough to manage. Any tricks ?
This is much easier than your making it out to be.............to align, simply set the sampling area. Then, using the overlay feature, line up the mortar lines. This is all very very easy.

_alexbrandt_

This is where you use the Brush Tool with a stippling type brush (made of small squares). One tool will not do everything you want..........you have to get used to the idea that you can use more than one tool to accomplish a task.

This is much easier than your making it out to be.............to align, simply set the sampling area. Then, using the overlay feature, line up the mortar lines. This is all very very easy.

Ok I managed for the mortar lines.

Never used a stippling type brush.
I see what it is online. Could you tell me more how you would use that to create the necessary shading ?