What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is really interesting. What is this Mask by Mask ?

zoe20

Power User
Hi, Gurus its been a long time being here. I am trying to learn how to make a header graphic from a free PSD found (I attached the same PSD ) I have a basic idea on how to make it. But I got stuck where it says Mask by Mask. This is really interesting. Can you please explain to me and teach me how to make a similar one.

Mask_By_Mask.jpg

This is the layered PSD :

This is My effort :

Attachments

• testing.psd
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • My_Effort.psd
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

zoe20

Power User
One thing I can do it is using a clipping mask. Just like the one I attached here. But on the original PSD (testing.psd), they used this mask by Mask it's confusing me. Please explain to me and see the clipping mask I used PSD. PSD called My_Effort_clipping_Mask.psd Its always better learn different ways of doing things.

Attachments

• My_Effort_clipping_Mask.psd
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The "mask by mask" is nothing more than a group with a vector mask or, in other words, a vector mask was added to a group layer named "Mask by Mask". In your testing example, someone used a vector mask.......not sure why. It works fine with a regular layer mask.......
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 5.58.37 PM.png

By the way............"Mask by Mask" is just a name that someone gave to the group. It doesn't mean anything.

zoe20

Power User
Here's your effort with a layer mask added to the group.
View attachment 106683
View attachment 106684

IamSam Awesome and thanks for the help. Yes, we can even use clipping masks as well just like I did. Its always better learn do different ways of doing it. Can you kindly teach me how you added a vector layer mask to a group? A tutorial? Its really helpful to all of us here. Thanks in advance:bowdown::bowdown:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you kindly teach me how you added a vector layer mask to a group?
Yes. Highlight the group, for a layer mask -- hit the "add layer/vector mask" icon located at the bottom of the layers panel. For a vector mask -- hold the Cmd/Cntrl key and hit the "add layer/vector mask" icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.

zoe20

Power User
Yes. Highlight the group, for a layer mask -- hit the "add layer/vector mask" icon located at the bottom of the layers panel. For a vector mask -- hold the Cmd/Cntrl key and hit the "add layer/vector mask" icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.
Hi, IamSam I did it. But nothing is happening. Please see the attached screenshot. I selected the group called shapes and hit the add Layer/vector maks icon by holding the control key

11.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi, IamSam I did it. But nothing is happening.
You're just adding the layer mask to the group layer. You will still have to add (black/white) content to the mask.

I just made a selection of the lower part, then selected the layer mask, and filled with black.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 12.23.17 AM.png

zoe20

Power User
This is a bit weird. Using a Clipping mask I can achieve it. But something they did on it. I see a shape when I clicked the vector mask on the original PSD (testing.PSD )

222.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Zoe, I didn't even think to ask but I guess that I had better do so. You do realize that you're working in an artboard?

This dark colored layer indicates that it's an artboard layer.
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.29.08 AM copy.png

You can also tell when it has an artboard name on the canvas.
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 11.33.57 AM.png

Unless it was your intention to experiment with an artboard, then I would disregard this file and just use traditional Ps methods. I'm not a huge fan of artboards for simple graphics. I can see what Adobe was trying to do when they introduced them and they do serve a purpose, but they can be somewhat confusing and there are much easier ways of accomplishing the exact same thing that artboards are supposed to be doing in this situation.

When I look at this artboard in the sample file you posted, all I see is a messy amateur attempt at an effect that would be much easier to accomplish without the artboard. Artboards have their place and work well once they are understood.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Someone PM'd me about my statement here and why I would say this.....
all I see is a messy amateur attempt

Here is my reason.

Rounded rectangle layers are editable up until the time they are free transformed, editing is then limited. One common problem is that after the initial transforming, the transform box is no longer proportional to the rectangle...
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 4.01.16 PM.png

You can use Smart Objects within artboards, however, none were used here. Why would that be important? For complete edit-ability.

Here, in the original file, you can see that the rectangles are not editable in properties. We can only make limited changes to the rectangle in the tools option bar. And we can't alter the corner radii.
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 3.17.16 PM.png

If done properly using smart objects, the rectangles would be completely editable!
Here the entire graphic is editable using a Smart Object.
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 3.18.08 PM.png

Within the graphics PSB file, the rectangles are editable...
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 3.18.57 PM.png

Here, when using free transform the transform box is proportional to the rectangle...
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 4.01.33 PM.png

Each rounded rectangle is completely editable including the corners.
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 3.19.12 PM.png

So this is what I mean...............I did not intend to offend.

zoe20

Power User
Someone PM'd me about my statement here and why I would say this.....

Here is my reason.

Rounded rectangle layers are editable up until the time they are free transformed, editing is then limited. One common problem is that after the initial transforming, the transform box is no longer proportional to the rectangle...
View attachment 106712

You can use Smart Objects within artboards, however, none were used here. Why would that be important? For complete edit-ability.

Here, in the original file, you can see that the rectangles are not editable in properties. We can only make limited changes to the rectangle in the tools option bar. And we can't alter the corner radii.
View attachment 106708

If done properly using smart objects, the rectangles would be completely editable!
Here the entire graphic is editable using a Smart Object.
View attachment 106709

Within the graphics PSB file, the rectangles are editable...
View attachment 106710

Here, when using free transform the transform box is proportional to the rectangle...
View attachment 106713

Each rounded rectangle is completely editable including the corners.
View attachment 106711

So this is what I mean...............I did not intend to offend.
IamSam no no you never offended. In fact, you are helping us to learn more. And in my first post itself, I said this is the weird way of doing it. As you explained it we can use a regular layer mask or clipping mask is the best option here I think. After spending some time on it I realized this is made up of some other software and exported it as PSD? I 'll show you another one later today

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
clipping mask is the best option here I think.
No, a clipping mask will work but a regular layer/vector mask is is more practical. With the graphic, you have to use 4 clipping masks to accomplish the same effect that you can do in using only 1 layer/vector mask.

After spending some time on it I realized this is made up of some other software and exported it as PSD?
No, the example you posted first was made entirely in Photoshop.

Ok, this is yet another example. See the dots shape.
Again the term "Mask by rectangle" is just a group layer name that someone gave to the group. There's noting different or special about this layer, it's just a group with a vector mask applied to it. The advantage of using a vector mask is that it is editable. But so is a regular layer mask.

I have done the same here....
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 8.36.10 AM.png

I would have to see the actual file to see how the "dots shape" was applied. I cant tell from your screen shot where they originate.

zoe20

Power User
No, a clipping mask will work but a regular layer/vector mask is is more practical. With the graphic, you have to use 4 clipping masks to accomplish the same effect that you can do in using only 1 layer/vector mask.

No, the example you posted first was made entirely in Photoshop.

Again the term "Mask by rectangle" is just a group layer name that someone gave to the group. There's noting different or special about this layer, it's just a group with a vector mask applied to it. The advantage of using a vector mask is that it is editable. But so is a regular layer mask.

I have done the same here....
View attachment 106729

I would have to see the actual file to see how the "dots shape" was applied. I cant tell from your screen shot where they originate.
Learning new things in here. I would like to learn these methods. Hers the layered PSD. Due to size constraints uploaded to Mediafire here: One thing I noticed here. They used again Artboard here
Layered PSD.Uploaded to Mediafire

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
They used again Artboard here
No, actually there was no artboard used in this file. Refer to post #10.

In the new (2nd) file example, the dot pattern was added in the group and the vector mask was used to constrain the dots to the yellow (rectangle) graphic.
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 11.17.15 PM.png

It really doesn't make any sense as a layer mask could have been added directly to the dot layer. There was no need to create a group unless more effects were going to be added to the yellow rectangle.
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 11.27.26 PM.png

This bb.psd file serves as a good example of a non-editable file because the ovals are not editable at all.

I'm not at all sure if I have answered your original question. Vector versus Raster layer masks is barely debatable. It's purely a matter of preference. For me it's situational.

zoe20

Power User
No, actually there was no artboard used in this file. Refer to post #10.

In the new (2nd) file example, the dot pattern was added in the group and the vector mask was used to constrain the dots to the yellow (rectangle) graphic.
View attachment 106741

It really doesn't make any sense as a layer mask could have been added directly to the dot layer. There was no need to create a group unless more effects were going to be added to the yellow rectangle.
View attachment 106742

This bb.psd file serves as a good example of a non-editable file because the ovals are not editable at all.

I'm not at all sure if I have answered your original question. Vector versus Raster layer masks is barely debatable. It's purely a matter of preference. For me it's situational.
Also one thing I noticed they used the rounded images as a pattern instead they can use it differently right ??

supraja

This is really interesting. I never know that a mask can be applied to a group. IamSam can you provide a step by step tutorial on both methods? I mean vector mask, Layer mask, mask to group and how to mask to constrain the dots to the yellow (rectangle) graphic I mean a shape? It's useful. Thanks in advance