What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Help with a restoration

Farmer121

Hello all, I’m fairly new to Photoshop but am attempting to restore a photo for a friend.

The photo is the only one that she has of her father and is literally falling apart.

I have no idea how to tackle the hair.
What I have done so far I know is not amazing but it’s an honest attempt :)
I’ve included the original, a side by side and where it stands now.
Cheers,

F83AAB6D-AEE4-477F-BD1E-8923E23974A4.jpeg

360818A2-B69B-4AD6-B384-DCB111C38D22.jpeg

6DFA8D19-CD42-46AF-80B3-AB9D150E9EB2.jpeg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a difficult restoration that would challenge even the best! Probably not a great one to start off with! LOL!! Getting good results on such a damaged image would frustrate even the most seasoned restorer.

The first thing I see is that you have blurred or "muddied" the original images clarity and definition, like you added a filter/blur or something.

Before...
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 10.38.28 AM.png

After...
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 10.38.38 AM.png

I realize there was a lot of damaged area in the hair and you used a ton of cloning to clean it up. The fathers hair is muddied/blurred and off color. This is why the hair is lacking in definition in the after version. But so much of restoration requires the use of other tools besides the Clone Stamp Tool. You will need some degree of painting or replacement skills in these very damaged photos in order to reconstruct what's missing. In this case, I would have to painted back the hair texture..............but this is fairly easy for me and maybe not for you.

My best advice would be to set this project aside, and choose another restoration that's not so challenging for your current skill set. Practice, practice, practice! Then try it again after you have had some time to learn some better techniques. Some members of this forum are exceptionally good with restorations! You should have plenty of advice.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You're welcome.

Here is a quick example of how to approach the hair.
I quickly used the Spot Healing Brush Tool to clean up the hair. IN the missing areas I used the Clone Stamp Tool.
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 11.21.11 AM.png

I then used a Solid Color fill layer and it's layer mask set to overlay to darken the the hair.
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 11.21.24 AM.png

Next I would use the Brush Tool to add back the hair details.
Hair "roughed in".................lot's of work left!
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 12.19.25 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sure, you're welcome.
I'm not going any further, but you may understand that restoration can be a lot of work! We will help you in any way we can. This one is a tough one................sorry!

Farmer121

Sure, you're welcome.
I'm not going any further, but you may understand that restoration can be a lot of work! We will help you in any way we can. This one is a tough one................sorry!
Awesome,
This is so much help! Cheers

Argos

Guru
Long-time without doing a proper restoration... but I think the face of the little girl is more than I can chew, trying to recreate an entire face and molding it with lights and shadows is just too much for me XD
Being honest I like your attempt, the blurry effect on your work, helps in hiding the mistakes that an attempt with more quality sure would show.

Sorry for the hair I didn't do too much research XD

F83AAB6D-AEE4-477F-BD1E-8923E23974A4f.jpg

ph_o_e_n_ix

Could it be that the photo was only photographed from a picture frame and not scanned?

If so, you should remove the photo from the picture frame and scan it - then the starting point would be a better one.

Note: It is often helpful when scanning such images to scan them wet.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Farmer121 - I must apologize! I was under the impression that you were asking for help for yourself, I did NOT realize that you were asking for a free edit! I thought this was a thread that I had moved to the General Photoshop Board. My mistake for not paying attention.

@Argos - This is a difficult restoration. As I stated above, it would be a challenge to even the most seasoned restorer.

Argos

Guru
Agree! the problem is with the child's face I think you have more chances than me in that one because of your great drawing skills, I tried to molded using shadows and lights but I can't find the way to not look weird ..... XDDD

i started with this one and 300 layer laters looks better but still weird ahahaha (that long separation between nose and mouth doesn't help either XD)

F83AAB6D-AEE4-477F-BD1E-8923E23974A4gg.jpg F83AAB6D-AEE4-477F-BD1E-8923E23974A4g.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I was just looking at this area of the photo that seems to have been fractured.
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.15.37 AM.png

Even when brought back into position, the mouth (and her right eye) seems out of place.
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.15.56 AM.png

I would still shift the mouth into a more natural position and in alignment with her nose.
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.25.15 AM.png

psleon

A different (simular) picture of the child would also help as reference.