What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I retain textures in the drop down list Photoshop cc2020

Hudson

PS comes with its own built in textures in the Filter Gallery > Textures > Texturizer which are BRICK, BURLAP, CANVAS and SANDSTONE
Does anyone know if it's possible to add more textures and have them always available in the drop down list?
Much appreciated if this can be done.

Simply load it?

Texturizer.jpg

The loaded file(s) where saved in "Filter Gallery Prefs.psp" @ \\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings

Simply load it? The loaded file(s) where saved in "Filter Gallery Prefs.psp" @ \\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings
Unfortunately the Textures I load are not permanently retained in the drop down list with the 4 included textures. I think you misunderstood my OP.

The problem was photoshop...

You can load only 1 new texture to the dropdown list ... if you apply it, you have to protect the "Filter Gallery Prefs.psp" from deleting. Now you can close photoshop and start it later - the new texture is still in the list. Not particularly comfortable, but the only way to keep at least/one extra entry.

Simply load it? The loaded file(s) where saved in "Filter Gallery Prefs.psp" @ \\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings
Unfortunately the Textures I load are not permanently retained in the drop down list with the 4 included textures.
The problem was photoshop...

You can load only 1 new texture to the dropdown list ... if you apply it, you have to protect the "Filter Gallery Prefs.psp" from deleting. Now you can close photoshop and start it later - the new texture is still in the list. Not particularly comfortable, but the only way to keep at least/one extra entry.
I've done that in the past but I need to have several textures available in the list instead of having to go find them and load them whenever I want to use them. I thought with the new CC2020 version that Adobe would have made that available, instead of limiting the list to very old textures which to me are a bit obsolete.
Thanks for your input though, maybe next version will allow us to ADD textures to the list for easy and quick retrieval.

Unfortunately the Textures I load are not permanently retained in the drop down list with the 4 included textures.
If you do it right it should look like this...(added the texture yesterday and protected it)

Texturizer2.jpg

I need to have several textures available in the list ...
As I told before ... that's not possible

You can only work with file shortcuts/links that are in a shared folder.
[...] maybe next version will allow us to ADD textures to the list for easy and quick retrieval.
That will never happen because Adobe would have to rebild the base code first...

You mention protection twice. You may need to explain what you mean and how you did it.
Right click on the "Filter Gallery Prefs.psp" > Properties > "General" tab > check "Read-only" > confirm with "OK" button

Right click on the "Filter Gallery Prefs.psp" > Properties > "General" tab > check "Read-only" > confirm with "OK" button
If you do it right it should look like this...(added the texture yesterday and protected it)

View attachment 109876

As I told before ... that's not possible

You can only work with file shortcuts/links that are in a shared folder.

That will never happen because Adobe would have to rebild the base code first...
I have already made the prefs file "Read Only" and like you have shown above, it will hold 1 extra filter in the drop down list. I need more than 1, so it may be in a future update. I've been coding for many years and to add the filename and path into the drop down list should be a piece of cake for the coders at Adobe.

[...] so it may be in a future update. I've been coding for many years and to add the filename and path into the drop down list should be a piece of cake for the coders at Adobe.
Adobe programmers are not interested in that ( (not even if you add it to your wish list). They have enough to do with fixing the bugs of their annual "beta" versions and implementing smaller new functions so that customers are satisfied.
If you take a closer look at the program code, you will see that there is a lot of garbage in it that has no use and contains functions that are only reserved for programs such as Illustrator, InDesign, etc.

Back