What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5 - How to create an animated slideshow w/ varying layer sizes?

DANSBIRD

I've done this for years back on an old version of Elements, but for some reason, I cannot figure out how to do this on CS5.

I have 10 images that I want to cycle through, but they're of varying sizes and taking up various sections of the frame. B/c of this, I am seeing other layers underneath the layer I want to see.

On CS5, how do I make this show only the top layer and none of the other layers?

caskkth.gif

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You place a solid color layer at the bottom of the stack.

You should never see other layers because one frame should only be associated with one layer........or in this case two including the solid color layer. All other layers should be off.

Frame one
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.42.27 AM.png
Layer one (plus background)
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.42.37 AM.png

Frame two
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.42.48 AM.png
Layer two (plus background)
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.42.54 AM.png

GIFExample_02.gif

Let me know if you don't understand.

DANSBIRD

I don't want a solid color. I want the area that's not visible to be transparent.

Much like this picture: changing-avatar-animated-gif.gif

Where if the page it was inserted in had a black background, everything in this image's background, (in this case, that's white) would be black, as well.

DANSBIRD

The way I easily made this happen on Elements was to take each image and just layer them on top of each other. Go to Save and Save For Web, make it loop, and save it as a .gif. Worked flawlessly.

Basically taking each of these images and stacking them:

AyKDXq2.jpg

The bottom image, in this case, being the height and width that I wanted the file to be. Once I have the size I want established, it was just a matter of dragging each layer on top of that image and positioning it where I want w/in the boundaries set by the largest image (again, in this case the bottom image).

Once saved, the file would rotate through the images w/out showing any part of any two images at the same time.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Same gif only the BG layer is off. Transparent.
(You see white because the forum BG is white)
GIFExample_03.gif
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.56.44 AM.png

DANSBIRD

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, but I do not know how to do that in CS5. All efforts have been futile and ended up like the .gif in the OP.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's been AGES since I have even seen CS5!!! I don't remember how it's set up for animation!

This is not how I would do it, but it's close! Turn off the BG and ignore tweening.

DANSBIRD

What do you use now? I was all about getting CS6 until I saw it was subscription based.

BTW, thanks for the link/willing to help. I'll look at the video shortly.

Also BTW, the background being off didn't matter. It still shows the layers behind it. :( And I never messed w/ tweening. Ugh. I'll try to figure it out.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What do you use now?
I use the the current version of CC. It is subscription based.

I'll look at the video shortly.
The main thing you need to take away is that in order to stop your problem of having stacked images of different sizes, just remember, one frame one layer. Turn the rest off.

DANSBIRD

I use the the current version of CC. It is subscription based.

The main thing you need to take away is that in order to stop your problem of having stacked images of different sizes, just remember, one frame one layer. Turn the rest off.
BOOM! That did the trick! I had all of the layers still on. I figured it had to be something simple. Thank you very much.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yikes!

BOOM! That did the trick! I had all of the layers still on. Thank you very much.
I hope so because I just looked at your gif from the OP.
This is just one layer/frame!!!!
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.44.15 AM.png

This is a different problem altogether! It's in how you are opening the images to each layer.

Sincerely, let us know if you still have problems!

DANSBIRD

I'm just dragging and dropping them. I took a bunch of avatars from a forum I'm on and I am making my own animated avatar using other people's avatars. It's a fun way of screwing w/ them (I've done this to this group off an on for the past 16 years).

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would love to see a finished GIF of some of our avatars!!

DANSBIRD

It's fun b/c as they're scrolling a thread, they think they see something they posted or someone else, who didn't post it, simply by the avatar and not the username. I've gotten quite a few "Damnit Dan!" posts in the past from doing this. :D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks great! Glad we worked out the problem.