What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eyedropper problem

Hudson

Hi folks. I have just upgraded to CC2020 latest version because of a couple of bugs in the earlier 2020 version - it wasn't keeping the "Blend If" slider settings in an action. That's all good now BUT now when I use the eyedropper tool to sample OUTSIDE of the Photoshop window it picks the colour OK but as soon as the cursor leaves the Photoshop window the image in Photoshop moves in the OPPOSITE direction to the mouse and leaves only the edge of the image visible! I then have to place the image back to the centre of the workspace to keep editing. This is weird and I think the Adobe guys are trying too hard to get new things included but not checking to see if the new stuff is affecting anything else. Just thought I'd mention this to see if others are having the same problem.

Hi Hudson
Other forum members are likely to understand how the Workspace works better than I so I hope they ump in.
This is not a new issue nor specific to PS 2020: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/stop-eyedropper-scrolling/td-p/10786931?page=1

I think this has to do with the Overscroll feature (in Preferences under the Tools section) yet I am not to sure about that.

I believe I have found a Workaround (though not ideal)

Create a second Window for the same document via Window > Arrange > New Window For "doc name"

When using the eyedropper tool to select colors outside of photoshop, just start from this second window and make the color selection, then just go back to the original window as it will not have moved (position preserved). A pain in tabs because your switching between tabs yet if you use a very small floating window that is not in the way for the second window, it may be less painful.

Good news is that it is not yet one more bug in PS 2020, the bad news is that it has been around for a while with the same behaviour.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Hi Hudson
Other forum members are likely to understand how the Workspace works better than I so I hope they ump in.
This is not a new issue nor specific to PS 2020: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/stop-eyedropper-scrolling/td-p/10786931?page=1

I think this has to do with the Overscroll feature (in Preferences under the Tools section) yet I am not to sure about that.

I believe I have found a Workaround (though not ideal)

Create a second Window for the same document via Window > Arrange > New Window For "doc name"

When using the eyedropper tool to select colors outside of photoshop, just start from this second window and make the color selection, then just go back to the original window as it will not have moved (position preserved). A pain in tabs because your switching between tabs yet if you use a very small floating window that is not in the way for the second window, it may be less painful.

Good news is that it is not yet one more bug in PS 2020, the bad news is that it has been around for a while with the same behaviour.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler
Many thanks John. I guess I'll have to put up with it until Adobe decide it's worth repairing. I don't recall this happening in the early versions of CC - but I may be wrong.
When the image scrolls, it always leaves an edge visible on the workspace and doesn't go any further. I have a dedicated button on my tablet set to "CTRL + 0" so it's easy to get the image back into the work space. I guess it's not a big deal - it's just annoying and for the obscene and massive income Adobe takes in, they should fix it immediately. Multi billion dollar Software companies seem to be the only industry that is allowed to dish up something that's faulty and get away with it, without having to be accountable. We press on regardless :)

Your welcome Hudson
There is a culture in that vast majority of the software industry and also with the customer base that expects and follows a priority list of what bugs to fix and when. Here is a cut and paste out of a software testing web page that summarizes the testing priority and gives insight into this culture ( http://softwaretestingfundamentals.com/defect-priority/)

Classification
Priority can be categorized into the following levels:

Urgent: Must be fixed immediately / in the next build.
High: Must be fixed in any of the upcoming builds but should be included in the release.
Medium: May be fixed after the release / in the next release.

Low: May or may not be fixed at all.

Bugs that are annoying (especially ones that have a workaround) are always in the "low" category so very low priority.

That's one of the reasons that I want until a software release (OS or application) has at least a couple "dot" releases before considering moving to a new version. Avoiding the very bleeding edge of new software helps avoid the need for band-aides for the customer :)

John Wheeler

Your welcome Hudson ... Bugs that are annoying (especially ones that have a workaround) are always in the "low" category so very low priority. ... Avoiding the very bleeding edge of new software helps avoid the need for band-aides for the customer.
John Wheeler
Very good info John, thanks for that. I feel so privileged to be able to pay (and keep paying!) for something that will probably never give me 100% satisfaction :)

How necessary is testing in software development?
Hi @Didymous
A simple question yet a broad topic. It may be worthy of its own post and maybe in the Off-Topics Forum.
In my opinion, with the way most software is presently developed, testing is required to avoid levels of bugs where the product would be totally rejected by the customer as not worth purchasing.
I am a proponent of Software Development/Management approaches that builds the quality in rather than depending on just testing the bugs out. That is not in line with the majority of software development from my own observation/perspective.
Just my opinion of course.
John Wheeler

Back