What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Change the Size of a PNG Image in PS while retaining Resolution

What the Heck

Hi, Everyone. I got some great help in a thread recently. I must say, this is one of the friendliest and most welcoming of all the forums I've been on in many years, You folks really roll out the red carpet.

I have an image that I want to put in a layer and place on top of another image. To do this I have to resize (shrink) the image in the upper layer (does this make sense?)

I've been surprised in the past when I did this and the image got WORSE, not better, which I've never seen before and which on the surface at least seems counter-intuitive.

A couple YT Photoshop teaching vids said the way fix this is to first turn the image into a smart object, but then someone here on the board this week said that wasn't the best way.

So with that, I'd loved to get some instructions, written or video, on how to do this.

Thank You So Much,
What the Heck

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just this morning I was able to find a YT vid that helped me do it.
Do you mind sharing a link to that video?

What the Heck

Do you mind sharing a link to that video?

Sam, oops, thanks for the reminder.

Unfortunately, I cleaned out my temp files and didn't save the vid, but here's a whole page of ones that will help others,

Thanks again for the reminder,

WTH

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unfortunately, I cleaned out my temp files and didn't save the vid, but here's a whole page of ones that will help others,
Sorry to hear that.

You linked us to Smart object videos. Not what I was expecting.

Here are two identical PNG images displayed in a side by side comparison that started at 800px x 600px at 72ppi
One side was converted to a Smart object and the other side is a plain ordinary layer.
Both were then reduced to 180px x 135px...........can you tell which one is the Smart Object??????

180px x 135px - 72ppi doc size - 600% Zoom
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.54.29 PM.png
180px x 135px - 72ppi doc size - 100% Zoom
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 8.04.02 PM.png

Don't get me wrong, Smart Objects are awesome! But they only offer a small amount of help when reducing an image. Where they really shine is when you up-scale back to 100%.

Maintaining resolution during reduction depends on the original size and resolution of the image and the resolution of the document you've imported them into. You never told us the size of the PNG that you were having trouble with or posted it as an example. Did converting it to a SO help it? If so, please share your results!!! I'm very interested!

What the Heck

Sorry to hear that.

You linked us to Smart object videos. Not what I was expecting.

Here are two identical PNG images displayed in a side by side comparison that started at 800px x 600px at 72ppi
One side was converted to a Smart object and the other side is a plain ordinary layer.
Both were then reduced to 180px x 135px...........can you tell which one is the Smart Object??????

180px x 135px - 72ppi doc size - 600% Zoom
View attachment 113158
180px x 135px - 72ppi doc size - 100% Zoom
View attachment 113159

Don't get me wrong, Smart Objects are awesome! But they only offer a small amount of help when reducing an image. Where they really shine is when you up-scale back to 100%.

Maintaining resolution during reduction depends on the original size and resolution of the image and the resolution of the document you've imported them into. You never told us the size of the PNG that you were having trouble with or posted it as an example. Did converting it to a SO help it? If so, please share your results!!! I'm very interested!

Sam, thanks again.

These were the three different Shamrock designs we had been discussing in the other thread. Did you want me to repost the images, for others to see? Say the word, and I'm happy to.

Before modifying or applying Smart Objects, the first image was 827 x 877, at 144 DPI.

The other two images were the same -- 600 x 613, at 72 DPI.

Remember that these images will never appear on my website or ever be viewed by the public. Therefore, although I'm a real stickler for accurany and precision, in this case I'm more interested in speed that sparkling images. These will just be general mockups from which the fabricator will make their own designs and options to present to us -- not a big sweat. But I will be wanting to learn more in the future about resizing while retaining resolution.

Thanks Again,
WTH

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
These were the three different Shamrock designs we had been discussing in the other thread. Did you want me to repost the images, for others to see? Say the word, and I'm happy to.
I'm not certain as to what you are referring to......the images we discussed in a PM were all JPG images. You only supplied me with two JPG images, one of which I converted to PNG's.
Your first original image was....
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 8.51.56 PM.png

Before modifying or applying Smart Objects, the first image was 827 x 877, at 144 DPI.
I did not see an image in this size.

If you recall, I noted that these images were too small and poor resolution. I requested that you send me the originals. You stated that they were fine for what you were using them for.
You later posted this....
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 8.53.26 PM.png
This file was unusable because it seemed to be a smaller image that had been up-scaled. Lot's of issues.
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 8.59.08 PM.png

If your referring to any of the PNG images that I converted...........these were far too small and very poor resolution. They were never going to scale down without issues. Converting them to SO would have not made a difference. Note: Image DPI: 1ppi
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 9.02.38 PM.png

Or could it be that we are not talking about the same thing?