What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Torn paper effect collage

Naomi N.

Hello. Can someone please try to create a collage from the 3 photos of the young men and child, to have the child peep out in the middle of the torn paper? Just like in this Courteney Cox collage. (The kid doesn't have to appear in black and white). Thank you gurus 🙏

83979712_2511011895787753_3955339453029757923_n.jpg

James+Bay+BUILD+London+James+Bay+Mcvl186qpU2l.jpg

PhotoGrid_1593013179513.jpg

PhotoGrid_1593282199623.jpg

Naomi N.

Not bad, but may I ask for some modifications please?
Is it possible to place the child's face at the same height as the other two, to let their eyes be parallel?
And also, to have The men's faces on both sides be the same scale/size and more visible ?
To have the same proportions as in Courteney Cox's collage. Thank you!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Edited above.
I apologize, I'm very busy!! If it's not satisfactory, hopefully someone else will jump in on this one. Good luck!

JeffK

Guru
@Naomi N. - I decided to take a shot at this - admittedly outside my wheelhouse especially with the torn edges. But did my best and also tried to meet your above requests.
@IamSam - wouyldn't mind a critique from you as well and maybe some insight into the torn paper effect.
Nice effect to have different ages in a single collage.
- Jeff
child adult collage edited.jpg

JeffK

Guru
Did some minor edits - removed the artifact from the left forehead, removed some parts of images bleeding over, minor touchup on little one's face.
- Jeff
child adult collage edited REV.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
wouyldn't mind a critique from you as well and maybe some insight into the torn paper effect.
I really don't have a critique as you did a great job. There are two main ways to create the effect, you can search for existing torn paper images or "textures". The other method is by using custom made torn paper brushes or by using "grunge" style brushes to create the torn edge effect. Either way works well and details can be added to enhance the effect.

In my version I veered away from a literal/realistic torn paper effect by using an offset custom brush. If you actually tear a piece of paper and examine the edge closely, you will see that the inner edge is never the same as the outer edge. And most outer edges are ragged and thin. This can be done from scratch but it takes a lot of work. The original edit that the OP posted had symmetrical edges and was more than likely done with a custom brush. I simply followed suit and did the same.

I made two groups consisting of a inner edge layer that was colored and given texture, an outer edge layer that was white, and the clipped image layer that was positioned appropriately.
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.32.46 AM.png

Naomi N.

@Naomi N. - I decided to take a shot at this - admittedly outside my wheelhouse especially with the torn edges. But did my best and also tried to meet your above requests.
@IamSam - wouyldn't mind a critique from you as well and maybe some insight into the torn paper effect.
Nice effect to have different ages in a single collage.
- Jeff
View attachment 113418
That's actually very well executed. Quite a professional work 💪 Thank you so much for your efforts 😊

JeffK

Guru
I really don't have a critique as you did a great job. There are two main ways to create the effect, you can search for existing torn paper images or "textures". The other method is by using custom made torn paper brushes or by using "grunge" style brushes to create the torn edge effect. Either way works well and details can be added to enhance the effect.

In my version I veered away from a literal/realistic torn paper effect by using an offset custom brush. If you actually tear a piece of paper and examine the edge closely, you will see that the inner edge is never the same as the outer edge. And most outer edges are ragged and thin. This can be done from scratch but it takes a lot of work. The original edit that the OP posted had symmetrical edges and was more than likely done with a custom brush. I simply followed suit and did the same.

I made two groups consisting of a inner edge layer that was colored and given texture, an outer edge layer that was white, and the clipped image layer that was positioned appropriately.
View attachment 113430
Thanks @IamSam. I had tried using brushes but ended up grabbing the torn edge from the original Courtney Cox image set. Your method is quite elegant - will take a try at it.
Thanks as always for your help and guidance!
- Jeff