What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove texture from a graphic

maggie2

Hi,
I have graphics that have a strong textured look. I am attaching one so you can see what I mean. I would like to make the surface of the graphics smooth without the texture. Is there a way to do that? If so could you please tell me how to do it.
Thankscandy_greenstripe_maryfran.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Maggie2
It would help to know what you need at the end as there are many possible approaches, some easier that may leave some somewhat soft edges are more difficult approaches if you want the remaining lines (that were containing the texture) to remain more crisp. A bit more information of the final product and its use would help forum members provide better suggestions to meet your end goal.
Sust a suggestion
John Wheeler

maggie2

Hi Maggie2
It would help to know what you need at the end as there are many possible approaches, some easier that may leave some somewhat soft edges are more difficult approaches if you want the remaining lines (that were containing the texture) to remain more crisp. A bit more information of the final product and its use would help forum members provide better suggestions to meet your end goal.
Sust a suggestion
John Wheeler
Hi John,
Here's a photo of the way I want the item to look. I want to retain the shadows and contours but I want to get rid of the bumps. Hope this helps.
card6.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Maggie2
I do not see any easy way to remove the pattern or your first image (which has relatively low resolution) and achieve the quality and fine texture in the second image you have provided. The best I could do without extensive replacement of various sections of the image individually was a two step process where I averaged two copies of your initial image with the pixels offset and then used the texture slider in Adobe ACR applied several times. I then masked out the areas that did not have the pattern (the pumpkin and ribbon tie. yet there is no fine detail left. I also added a thin black stroke around the outside which helps give an impression or sharpness:

take-out-texture.png

Maybe another forum member will jump in with alternative approaches. Sorry I could not have been of more help

Rich54

Guru
I wasn't able to do a very good job on this, but another option is the Surface Blur filter, which blurs an image while trying to preserve sharp edges. Surface Blur has two settings, one for Blur Radius and one for Blur Threshold. The settings will vary for every image; in this case I used Radius=2 and Threshold=58. Then I applied a layer mask to the pumpkin and the purple ribbon, which didn't have much texture to start with. Like I said, this is not very good, but at least it's fast and might possibly suit your needs.

Green Bag.png

JeffK

Guru
I kept on thinking that the solution was some variation of a cartoon effect Fussed with it back and forth for 2 days. I'm a bit obsessive. :)
I ended up using a combination of high pass filter, dissolve blending mode, surface blur (as did @Rich54) , and eventually masking out the pumpkin and ribbon so the original version would appear of those two elements. It ended up as a bit of a mashup of several solutions.
Quite an adventure. Not as even textured as @thebestcpu but possibly close to what you wanted. As much as an exercise for me in possibilities and in a technique I hadn't tried before.
It still needs a bit more work especially on the edges...
- Jeff
pumplin bag edited FINAL.png

Rich54

Guru
I ended up using a combination of high pass filter, dissolve blending mode, surface blur

Jeff,
Can you explain how the Dissolve blend mode fits into this? That's not something I would have considered. What does dissolve do in this situation?

JeffK

Guru
Jeff,
Can you explain how the Dissolve blend mode fits into this? That's not something I would have considered. What does dissolve do in this situation?
Hi Rich:
First some clarity -
- I ran thru several versions of cartoon effects but wasn't happy with the results (didn't "flatten" the texture as needed)
- I haven't tried this technique before so even though I found a process, I just generally pushed and pulled levers not necessarily according to direction
So, that being said:
I opened the base file and then duplicated the image;
Then i used and pushed the high pass filter to create and "outline" of the image;;
I then duplicated the high pass layer and inverted it;
I changed the top high pass layer to divide blend mode;
Then I merged the two high pass layers;
I duplicated the base, original layer and brought it to the top of the stack;
Then I used surface blur on that top layer to smooth out the details
I then changed the blend mode of that layer to dissolve.
Then I masked the layer to bring back the original pumpkin logo and ribbon.
More than likely there are extra unneeded stops in there but haven't had a further chance to play with it. In any case, I ended up pretty close to the result I wanted to reach.
This is actually the process that I played with:
I hope that provides some insight.
- Jeff