What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing discoloration, noise, and bluish splotches

WarrenG

One of the issues I still struggle with when trying to restore an old photo is getting rid of the noise/grain and discoloration. Below is a photo of my great aunt, her 3 daughters and their husbands during WW II. I need help with solving the discoloration, noise & grain along the bottom and the bluish splotches across the entire photo. Would appreciate detailed steps to follow in restoring this photo. Photo is scanned at 600 dpi in jpeg format.

Tom Moore Extra Pics009.jpg

1. With the curves tool you can eliminate a lot of the blueish splotch.
1. Curves.png

2. Desaturate the image.
2. Desaturate.png

3. Remove the remaining grain with the spot healing brush. (Soft round brush with about 50% opacity) This can take an hour, so work patiently.
spot healing brush.png

4. Retouch the details in the faces and uniforms.
Finally I added a personal touch of a warmer gray tone to the image.
Tom Moore Extra Pics009 chrisdesign.jpg
This is my result.

WarrenG

1. With the curves tool you can eliminate a lot of the blueish splotch.
View attachment 119029

2. Desaturate the image.
View attachment 119031

3. Remove the remaining grain with the spot healing brush. (Soft round brush with about 50% opacity) This can take an hour, so work patiently.
View attachment 119032

4. Retouch the details in the faces and uniforms.
Finally I added a personal touch of a warmer gray tone to the image.
View attachment 119033
This is my result.
Wow - great job. Thank you so much. I'll try duplicating your work flow and see if I can get results as good as you did. This has always been my achilles heel in restoring old family photos. You've provided me a straight forward work flow to use.

Wow - great job. Thank you so much. I'll try duplicating your work flow and see if I can get results as good as you did. This has always been my achilles heel in restoring old family photos. You've provided me a straight forward work flow to use.

I'm happy if could help you.