What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple object paste into

GarySped

Hello all, I registered to post a Q. Then noted the thread I wanted to add to looks like it was in 2012. Hope things have changed because there is a very important feature missing in PS (or was). I want to paste the same image into multiple shapes in a Photoshop document - I guess to create a collage effect. This was not possible - according to 2012 comments. Can it be done today? If not why not? This would be an extremely powerful thing to do. Its possible to select multiple objects but paste-into (all) is what we need.

I want to paste the same image into multiple shapes in a Photoshop document - I guess to create a collage effect. This was not possible - according to 2012 comments. Can it be done today?
Yes by using "synced" smart objects. (Note: This also depends on what you mean by multiple shapes!)

If you have a document with a shape (rectangle)...
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.55.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.55.08 AM.png

Convert the shape layer to a smart object and then duplicate it as many times as needed....
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.56.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.56.23 AM.png

Now you can double click on any of the smart object rectangle layers and open the PSB document associated with the smart object.
Then add a photo in a layer abve the rectangle layer in the PSB document.....
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 1.03.16 AM.png

Save the PSB (Cmd/Cntrl + S) or close and save.

This will add the photo to all of the synced smart object rectangles in the original document.
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 1.06.19 AM.png

You can change the sizes of the rectangle if you like using free transform.
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 1.08.56 AM.png

Collage arrangement..
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 1.27.56 AM.png

There's another process using smart objects where they are embedded and linked. This can be used to change objects across platforms and multiple documents.

Back