What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feedback on composite

Possum169

I'm working on creating this composite. I edited the scene then tried to use a gradient map to blend the model into it.

samp-1.jpg

samp-2.jpg

resize copy.jpg

Your composite looks good. Colors, contrast and lighting is ok.
But you posted a resized version of your work.
Therefore it is impossible to give feedback concerning the quality of blending in the person and the sky.

Rich54

Guru
Overall, I like it. She is convincingly in the scene. Can you explain in more detail what you did with the gradient map? I'm not quite following how that enters into it.

By brightening the background and replacing the sky, you made the image look like broad daylight. But we can still see the interior lights of the boat, and the streetlamp on the right still looks lit.

thebestcpu

Guru
Just a couple comments @Possum169
The masking is great and looks realistic
The model has a lighting source that is to the upper left with shadows that shown on the right side as the viewer sees the model. Yet the background has virtually no shadows and those that I can see are extremely soft. The sky is nice in the background yet the scene implies that the foreground would have had to be shielded from the sun. Therefore the lighting on the model does not match the scene in my opinion.
Just my opinion of course.
John Wheeler

Possum169

Your composite looks good. Colors, contrast and lighting is ok.
But you posted a resized version of your work.
Therefore it is impossible to give feedback concerning the quality of blending in the person and the sky.
Im having issues uploading my files. Ill work it out

Possum169

Overall, I like it. She is convincingly in the scene. Can you explain in more detail what you did with the gradient map? I'm not quite following how that enters into it.

By brightening the background and replacing the sky, you made the image look like broad daylight. But we can still see the interior lights of the boat, and the streetlamp on the right still looks lit.
I created a gradient map to match the colors in the scene to the light on the model. Is there a better way? Thanks for the feedback.

JeffK

Guru
No expert here...and I don't play one on YouTube.
But...there's always a but...there were a few things that struck me when I took a closer look:
1) There's a black fringe around the lady that you can fix in your masking;
2) The background is too bright for the figure - just doesn't fit in for me. I think with a curves adjustment, bring the background down so it looks more like dusk rather than daylight.
3) There's also something to be said for the bridge going thru her head and I would try to edit that out if you like the overall composition.
Just a few thoughts - a quick interpretation is below.
- Jeff

girl on deck edited.jpg

Possum169

Just a couple comments @Possum169
The masking is great and looks realistic
The model has a lighting source that is to the upper left with shadows that shown on the right side as the viewer sees the model. Yet the background has virtually no shadows and those that I can see are extremely soft. The sky is nice in the background yet the scene implies that the foreground would have had to be shielded from the sun. Therefore the lighting on the model does not match the scene in my opinion.
Just my opinion of course.
John Wheeler
Yes the lighting direction is off. I can use a better matching background or create a uniformed light source. Hows the color grading for the model?

Possum169

No expert here...and I don't play one on YouTube.
But...there's always a but...there were a few things that struck me when I took a closer look:
1) There's a black fringe around the lady that you can fix in your masking;
2) The background is too bright for the figure - just doesn't fit in for me. I think with a curves adjustment, bring the background down so it looks more like dusk rather than daylight.
3) There's also something to be said for the bridge going thru her head and I would try to edit that out if you like the overall composition.
Just a few thoughts - a quick interpretation is below.
- Jeff

View attachment 120556
Good stuff. The scene was originally dusk so the observations are right. Ill pay closer attention to the detail and look to tweek the model mask. Thanks!

JeffK

Guru
Yes the lighting direction is off. I can use a better matching background or create a uniformed light source. Hows the color grading for the model?
Agree with @thebestcpu - color grading looks really great. Maybe that's why I'm seeing such a contrast with the background...
- Jeff

JeffK

Guru
One other comment - I would revisit that original (darker) background. Might be a better match to the model....
- Jeff

Possum169

First is just with background darker and blue gradient. Second is just darker background.

compob.jpg

compoc.jpg

JeffK

Guru
Just another thought - maybe you should stay with that original background....with that, the bridge might not even be such a distraction.

girl on deck with original bg.jpg

polarwoc

Guru
1) There is some work yet to be done with regards to cutting out the model from the background. But, if your focus is more on composition rather than the cut out, ignore this point.
1.png2.png

2) I see a Greenish tinge in the face of the model.
3.png
That is in contrast with the background, which is more Bluish. This means either the B/G has to change or the tinge on the model's skin. I was unable to check the colours on PS, I am going by plain sight.

Besides them, I have to appreciate the challenge you have undertaken with a bright model and a darkish background to make a terrific composite.

Ray Guselli

My try...
My idea was to try to match background colour to model; so went for a dusk feel with sunset etc...

Not sure if it works but fun trying.

Best wishes Ray
Photoshop gurus girl composite.jpg

Ray Guselli

Very Nice. Thanks for sharing this. Help me see other possibilities.
Thank you Possum 169....

Really appreciate the opportunity to try and a difficult task because of the different colours and lighting...

Very best wishes Ray