What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using hair templates

when I use such ‘templates in Photoshop it has a chequered background, although they are listed as invisible backgrounds, don’t know how to use these, any help please ?

D274485F-92FD-4579-BBD8-760735B76B5B.jpegE14C17DD-DE7A-4AFF-AFAC-8D63C76074FF.jpeg

Rich54

Guru
The checkered background is just a visual convention to represent "nothing". All you need to do is Copy/Paste (or drag) the hair image into any Photoshop file and it will be the hair only. The checkered background becomes invisible.

That’s what I thought, but it didn’t, maybe I am doing something wrong 🤔

I simply dragged the hair image onto an existing image....maybe that procedure is wrong ?

Rich54

Guru
My mistake. A template is different from a normal layer or photo. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about templates, so we'll have to wait for somebody else to come along.

Rich54

Guru
my mistake, sorry it’s not a template just a JPG

In that case, I'm not sure what the problem is.
  • Open any Photoshop document.
  • Open the hair JPG file. Click on Select All>Edit>Copy
  • Go into the other Photoshop document and click Edit>Paste
The hair should now be on its own layer with a transparent background. If this still won't work for you, please attach the two files here so that others can investigate the issue.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Any hair template opened in Photoshop must have a transparent background in order to be used. Otherwise you will have to remove it's background.

The following are screenshots as they appear in Photoshop.
Your example is a JPG. No transparent background.
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 7.53.35 PM.png

This hair template has a transparent background. It is a PNG file.
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 7.53.05 PM.png

I got these from a website saying they had invisible backgrounds, so don’t suppose all PNGs and or JPEGs have invisible backgrounds , that would depend on how they are made, is that correct ? Would I be better off looking for templates ?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Most templates used with Ps will be either PNG or PSD files both capable of supporting transparency.

I got these from a website saying they had invisible backgrounds,
Sorry. It's hard to tell until you open them in Ps. If they are JPG when you download them, I doubt they have transparent BG's.

so don’t suppose all PNGs and or JPEGs have invisible backgrounds , that would depend on how they are made
JPG can NOT support transparency. PNG files can support transparency. It depends on how they were edited and in what format they were saved.

Would I be better off looking for templates ?
Not sure what this question is about. The rough definition of a template is "anything used as a pattern". So technically as it relates to Photoshop, a "marching ant" selection is a template. Or any shape derived from a "marching ant" selection would be considered a template. Having stated this, the term "template" is used comparatively in the graphics world. There are building, car, house, fence, and tree templates. Graphic templates are used for an overall design layout to be used with multiple documents, i.e brochures, pamphlets, business cards, restaurant menus.......etc.

So this all depends on what your looking for. You can search Hair Templates............just make sure they are PNG files.

JeffK

Guru
Just for a visual - and I am NOT trolling....

Hair image with non-transparent (invisible) background - ie jpg -on a subject:

hair with non-transparent background.jpg

Hair image with a transparent background - ie png - on a subject:

hair with transparent background.jpg

When you download your template, just check file type, ie jpg or png. If it's a jpg, you would have to mask out the background as I did above. With png, you can generally use as is. The hair templates I googled all have transparent background and are presented as pngs or vectors which are also transparent.

- Jeff