What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Newspaper weave pattern removal

RogW

JPG of old picture from newspaper with background weave pattern needing removal

I write local history and have found a JPG on Ancestry with only picture I have been able to find of Henry George Bohn a famous bibliographer. Possibly from a newspaper it has look alike fabric weave/car track pattern in background. Is there a whizz kid that could help clean up the image? I am computer literate but this has proved beyond me. I am a young 72 and ex-IBM.... I would be so grateful for help. Best wishes Roger

h g bohn.jpg

Rich54

Guru
I don't know how to do this myself, but in case you're interested, there are external 3rd party plug-ins for Photoshop called Fast Fourier Transforms, which are made for this. Possibly someone else here does have one of these plug-ins and can clean this up. Here's a tutorial.

ex_teacher

Guru
I've never seen a halftone like this. This project might not , but I wish would. generate some discussion. Its a conventional halftone with a medium 'gray' tone rectangle embedded. Of course that's my ignorance but the only way I can think to explain that is a sharp photo of the original newspaper and then a poor resampling to a smaller size. That could cause repetitive blurring at some frequencies into a middle-ish gray and form those boxes. It can't be a true half tone because of that true gray.

At any rate I tried in PS to reduce this halftone and was less than happy with the result (see below) But I do like that resultant mess turned into a drawing. It simplifies the bad and keeps the edges and looks pretty much like a real drawing. I have no idea if it would be usable but it was fun doing at least.

h g bohn_2.jpg

h g bohn_1a-2x No32CTI_v2a_FIN-small.jpg

Last edited:

ex_teacher

Guru
You're welcome! :)
[ iLLuSioN ] I am gobsmacked. These are truly amazing and remarkable results

The more I thought about the halftoning in the OP's picture the more I'm convinced it's just simple moiré from the original digital capture, probably very common. None the less , even with the huge loss of information in the halftoning and the loss of information in that moiré, you managed to clean up that mess beautifully and then somehow illustrate/augment stellar detail on top of that. I am in awe:)

Bruce

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
[ iLLuSioN ] I am gobsmacked. These are truly amazing and remarkable results

The more I thought about the halftoning in the OP's picture the more I'm convinced it's just simple moiré from the original digital capture, probably very common. None the less , even with the huge loss of information in the halftoning and the loss of information in that moiré, you managed to clean up that mess beautifully and then somehow illustrate/augment stellar detail on top of that. I am in awe:)

Bruce
I concur and quite impressive!! Great job @[ iLLuSioN ]