What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Advice Editing Blowouts

photoscoo

Hello,

I am by no means an expert with photoshop, but I am very familiar with the program and can usually accomplish what I am trying to do.

This one is kicking my backside though. Maybe I am approaching it the wrong way. (I decided to select the blowouts - paste them into a new layer - and then adjust the rest of the image)

As you can see, I am not getting anywhere. The selections are a problem for me.

max_soda_fountain_unedited_scan_resized1600.jpgmax_soda_fountain_test2_resized1600.jpg

nurgle

you should try and ass a softer edge to your selections, using Select- Modify, and they a possible combination of Smooth and feather. Also A gradient overlay on the foreground of the table.

the amount of smoothing and feathers is a personal preference. there is also the option of using blending modes on layers to lighten it, but that is another rabbit hole.

a small bit of editing a curves layer to darken up the grey shadows would not go Amis either. but that is more complex, and differences would be harder to show on the screen. and take some pro time.

then I selected the guy head ONLY. did the same then Brought up a Shadow/Highlight adjustment.. and got the end result, with a slight shift to remove the redness.. mind you this was a 'quickie' edit for me, for the purpose of answering you question.. I am normally (on my own files) far more complex.. and can spend ages. photoshop has too many options. deciding which one ist best is always up to the end retoucher.

regards, Sandy

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.34.21am.jpgScreen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.37.57am.jpgScreen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.38.13am.jpgScreen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.44.32am.jpgScreen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.43.56am.jpgmax_soda_fountain_unedited_scan_resized1600.jpg

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
My approach is to have two separate layers with two separate exposures. Then use Blend-If to combine the two.

First, do all your necessary adjustments on the entire image, ignoring the blowouts:
max1.jpg

On a new layer above that, have a second version of the image that is exposed specifically for the blown-out areas. Like this:
max2.jpg

Rather than trying to select and mask the blown-out parts, you can combine the two layers using Blend-If (see tutorial below). The Blend-If feature combines the two layers only when one of them meets a certain luminosity range that you specify.
max3.jpg

photoscoo

Wow. I just got in and read these replies.

I just wanted to pop in and thank you both for this feedback.

Good stuff. And much appreciated.

- Ken

photoscoo

I finally had time to sit down and work with this.

I tried both approaches and they are both terrific - and each uses tools I had never used before.

Thank you guys so much. This was the last photo I needed for a project of mine. I feel like I should buy you guys lunch or something! ;)

nurgle

Thank you guys so much. This was the last photo I needed for a project of mine. I feel like I should buy you guys lunch or something! ;)

hi, a new Maserati would not go amiss.. hahha, or a drink sometime. but seriously, you are welcome.

we were all beginners once. so enjoy th learning curve, it will get steeper, as they add new features to photoshop. Been retouching since 1970, and still learning.

regards and best wishes, Sandy.

JeffK

Guru
Don't know what version of PS you have - but I tried some edits just with the camera raw filter and opening up the shadows. Added in one curves adjustment.
Not necessarily finished but could work together with what @Rich54 and @nurgle have provided....

max_soda_fountain_edited.jpg