What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove black spots from copper statue

robswede88

Hey! I was thinking of trying to make this statue all green again. How would you go about removing the dirt? Tried the clone stamp with mixed results.

DJI_0996.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey.
As usual there may be many ways to accomplish this in Ps. Typically used color overlays will be difficult because the statue is not one consistent color

I would probably start by making a selection of the outside boundary of the entire statue.
The I would pick out small areas and do the initial groundwork with the Healing brush Tool.
Then move on to the Brush Tool with a stipple brush.

For me, this would be more of a painting project. I will try to do a small sample area when I have time!

robswede88

Hey.
As usual there may be many ways to accomplish this in Ps. Typically used color overlays will be difficult because the statue is not one consistent color

I would probably start by making a selection of the outside boundary of the entire statue.
The I would pick out small areas and do the initial groundwork with the Healing brush Tool.
Then move on to the Brush Tool with a stipple brush.

For me, this would be more of a painting project. I will try to do a small sample area when I have time!
Thanks, I appreciate it!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a quick example. Just quickly laid down a base with the Brush Tool after cleaning up the area with the Healing Brush Tool.
Some of the solid areas I just had to paint over.
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.32.46 AM.png

Babine

Guru
In PS, made a selection of the subject, copied that selection to an alpha channel. used this channel to Select/Color Range selecting the dark areas and with this selection active, used the clone stamp to match nearby areas. Some of the darker areas left for an aging effect.

Statue.jpg

robswede88

@robswede88 - Would like to see your progress on this project!

When I have a free moment, I like the challenge of this project so I do a little work on it for fun!

Far from being finished..........but moving forward slowly.

View attachment 132728
Thanks a lot, I think this is a bit too hard for me, I've tried with mixed results, so I appreciate any help I can get. It looks really good so far!

robswede88

I tried a different approach.
With Google image search I found a "better" image of this Statue.
It isn't close to the painted quality of Sam's image sample. But maybe it is good enough for what you are looking for.

View attachment 132847
Good idea, but not quite what I had in mind perhaps. Thank you for your effort though. :) The name of the statue is "Sjömanshustrun" or "The seaman's wife statue".