What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replicate Colour Grading

Boba Fat

My first post here so sorry if this is the wrong section, but I recently started dipping my toe in compositions, more specifically fan posters. I blame Benny Productions, he makes it look easy. Anyway, I've started making a poster for Fant4stic and wanted to know if anyone had tips for replicating the look of the official posters.
For example, how can I match the colour grading to make these buildings:
MEJL2NL_t.jpg
Look like the background in this:
MEJ7158_t.jpg

Hello and welcome!

Can you post some larger images? This one is only 113px x 180px! Really hard to see any details!

mag_glass copy.png

I uploaded them to imagebam and copied the bbcodes, no idea why it didn't link to the full size images.

I uploaded them to imagebam and copied the bbcodes, no idea why it didn't link to the full size images.
Per our forum rules, all images must be uploaded to the forum. We do this so that our future viewers do not see these......."Photo/Image not found/available".

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 9.52.13 PM copy.png
Only in the free and paid edit sub-forums would you be allowed to link to larger images................in all other sub-forums, you are required to upload the image, even if you need to size them down to our maximum for uploads.

Anyway, I've started making a poster for Fant4stic and wanted to know if anyone had tips for replicating the look of the official posters.
For example, how can I match the colour grading to make these buildings:
There are literally thousands of ways to create poster style imagery................it's highly dependent on the artisan and their own style, taste, and techniques. It would be impossible to replicate someone else's work or style without asking them directly how it was done. Far too many variations! Also, what appeals to you may not appeal to another. Having stated that, I suggest you just start experimenting with as many different techniques until you find the one that appeals to you. There are hundreds of video tutorials available on the net. Go through and try as many as you can until you find something that you like.

I do suggest that you learn about smart objects along with smart filters. Doing so will give you absolute editing over all involved layers. "Color grading".......not sure exactly what you mean.....but you can influence any image, or part of an image using Solid color adjustment layers along with their accompanying layer masks and blending options to overlay color variants.

Here's just a quick rundown of one (of thousands) technique that can be used.

Original. Cropped. BG removed.
Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 1.10.26 PM.png

Convert building image layer into a smart object.
New clouds added.
It's hard to tell, but I have also added a smart filter to the buildings.......Poster Edges. This can easily be changed or edited at any time!Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 1.13.53 PM.png

Clouds desaturated using H&S adj layer.
Added a Color Fill Adj layer set to multiply and used it's layer mask to block what I didn't want colored.
Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 1.11.07 PM.png

Next I used two different layers to add in white highlighting and the asteroid trail.
I also used selections created from the building layer to isolate certain areas.
I can also colorize these layers by clipping a Solid Color Adj layer to either.
Too many variations!!!!!
Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 1.16.21 PM.png

Of course the next step would be adding in the subject and the flying debris at the base of the image........but that's another story.

Per our forum rules, all images must be uploaded to the forum. We do this so that our future viewers do not see these......."Photo/Image not found/available".

View attachment 136185
Only in the free and paid edit sub-forums would you be allowed to link to larger images................in all other sub-forums, you are required to upload the image, even if you need to size them down to our maximum for uploads.
My bad, I apologise. And thank you for the feedback on the image, it was very helpful.

Back