What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crop Tool not working in PhotoShop CS4

websquad

I have CS4, and today downloaded the latest update. Unfortunately, the Crop Tool is not working. If I start with a 400x400 image and want to crop it using the Crop Tool, instead of a second or so (which was my experiance with CS) it takes a couple of minutes, and results in a very large file ... often about 30,000x30,000.

Is my experience unique? Is there a fix?

websquad

It works .... thanks!

Strangely enough, that did the trick. I don't understand how, since there was no settings in the interface for "crop" preferences ... but it now works.

Thanks !!

Last edited:

Panico

Strangely enough, that did the trick.

I've been doing this for many years and I've learned one thing; if you have something really odd in Photoshop and you're not a beginner and you're 100% sure that it SHOULD work, simply reset the preference file, works in most cases. Other problems, not related to this one, are for 90% related to the video card driver.

websquad

First Problem

I'm probably somewhat new with Photoshop -- the product was at version 3 when I first started. While I admit I've never pushed the envelope with Photoshop, as best I recall this is the first time I've every had a problem with it: Version 3, 4.5 (as best I recall), 6, CS, and now CS4.

As a multiple monitor user, it is a joy to be able to move the tool bar to my left monitor, the color/adjustments/layers boxes to my right monitor, and leave all of the center monitor (a 22"W monitor) for the main business. I'm starting to get catch on to the few minor changes in the interface, and am ready to branch out. And it even works on my little HP Mini 1030 Netbook ... although not as fast!

Thanks again for your help!

Panico

I use 3 30" S-IPS monitors, I never run out of space hehe

Cost me a fortune though... but then again, the allowed me to make good money.

websquad

Did it on the cheap

1st LCD panel: 19" $460 at CompUSA

2nd LCD panel (identical model): $160 from eBay

3rd LCD panel: 22" wide-screen: $140 (slightly used) from Circuit City

$760 ... and, I times, I get ny neck hurts from twisting my head from side to side. Frankly, I can't image the damage its doing to you with 3 30" monitors.

But them, I'm legally an amateur. Retired IT guy, running about 19 websites on a pro bono basis (most are non-profits).

Good luck!

KWoood

When I use the crop tool in Photoshop CS4 no matter what size I make it Photoshop crops the image down to what appears to be 1 pixel. I tried resetting the preferences file to default but that did not work.

duffie

Ha! I had that same problem, too. I don't know how that changed, though. I certainly didn't do it knowingly. Thank you!