What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 'How Did They Do This?' question!

toofastdriving2

Hi All

So this has been annoying me for AGES - I've tried to work out how to do it, and aside from using a spatter brush preset and cutting and pasting a million times I just can't work it out. It looks like it should be easy - a bit of a clone tool or similar which cuts the image instead of just copying it. PLEASE if anyone can give some guidance?

IMG_0008.PNG

JgraphNet

Power User
This looks like it's been done with normal round brushes on a layer on top of the background layer. Play a bit with Spacing control in the Brush Tip Shape tab in the Brush Panel, add Size Gitter, Angle Gitter, Roundness Gitter in Shape Dynamics. Sample color from image and do strokes from image and out. When satisfied with the "splatter" effect - duplicate the Background Layer (never work on original!!) under paint layer and do the same routine the other way. Sample gray from BG and nudge face outline.
No need for cutting and pasting. Basically you need just three layers - BG, BG Copy and Paint Layer and you do it all with brushes as far as I can see. The only tricky part is getting to grips with Shape Dynamics in Brush Panel, but practice makes perfect.
Give it a try and good luck !

Last edited:

toofastdriving2

Thanks for the response! There's still variation in the size of the 'splotches' - which could easily be attributed to pen pressure, but there's also quite a number of tiny flecks randomly around some of the 'splotches'. Maybe I'm just being lazy, I'm sure I could manage to do it this way - but it would take hours to do a pic - for something it looks like there should be an 'easy way'! :)

JgraphNet

Power User
... Maybe I'm just being lazy, I'm sure I could manage to do it this way - but it would take hours to do a pic ...
Well, to "comfort" you a bit - all Photoshop things that looks great takes time to get to. Very few really good things are done within 5 mins and a few clicks...
That's just the nature of it :)
It can be quite frustrating getting the right balance of Shape Dynamics. Not so easy to get ones head around those, but practice practice practice - you know...

>There's still variation in the size of the 'splotches'
Size Gitter in Shape Dynamics (or Pen Pressure, as you guessed)

Last edited:

TerryC

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Friend
Practice, practice, practice. I did something like this in a couple of hours. The more you do it, the better it gets, the quicker it takes.

kgainez

or you could just get brushes that look like splatter
that's probably what i would do

toofastdriving2

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - kgainez: i've found some splatter-ish brushes, which is getting there. This is not something I can be doing on my laptop and trackpad mouse - I'll work on my patience and getting some proper devices!

Petit Photoshopper

This may sound old-school, but I think it would look best if you photographed an element of paint splatter that you created yourself. It doesn't matter how good you are or how great your brush tools are - nothing will look as intriguing to the viewer as integrated, 'real' effects. Plus, it doesn't take long to shoot a picture of paint!

toofastdriving2

This may sound old-school, but I think it would look best if you photographed an element of paint splatter that you created yourself. It doesn't matter how good you are or how great your brush tools are - nothing will look as intriguing to the viewer as integrated, 'real' effects. Plus, it doesn't take long to shoot a picture of paint!

Great idea! Had never thought of that! Would mean I need to google 'how to create a brush' in photoshop! Thanks so much for the tip!

sPECtre

Guru
Would mean I need to google 'how to create a brush' in photoshop! Thanks so much for the tip!
It's an excellent way to learn: research, read, digest, try, play... then come back if you have more questions.

Or better, try to discover how to do it yourself... hints: selections... then look at your Edit menu :D