What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Challenges

select what you think are best

• weekly

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Fortnightly

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • monthly

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • competition

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • challenge

• winner

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • or just for fun

• Total voters

Hoogle

Guru
New-Challenge.gif
Ok time to think

What do we want to do

Ok so time for a revamp or is it
do you want competitions or challenges

do you want a winner or not

do you want it weekly, Fortnightly or Monthly

Do you want it on themes or changed every week or month or so.

Do you want categories ie noob or Pro

Vote above using the poll
Any Volounteers to run it I suggest we have at least 3 people running it

Any 'volunteers' running it would not be able to participate the challenges/contests surely?

Hoog, I liked the old challenges and was willing to help run them - or run them alone. However, I'm happy to yield the field back to you, since it was your idea originally if I'm not mistaken.

Let me know how (or if) I can help.

Well that depends on what people want if it is decided it is just for fun and the challenge rather than being a competition then why cant they submit entries.

I honestly feel that the competition side of it will scare a lot of people off so I am hoping it becomes a challenge. If you look at the last weekly challenge we did they were popular with over 15 pages of responses.

I would like to see 3 people organising it it has to be people who can spare a couple of hours each challenge to research tutorials etc and lay out the rules so ideally the 3 people running it will be regular members and willing to teach new techniques as and when they are needed.

I think the challenges should be an actual challenge and a learning curve but not out of reach of everyone to be able to do if that makes sense.

I also think we should think of 3 themes for the following challenge and have a vote on which 1 we do.

I think if we do it like this it will take the responsibility away from 1 person and eliminate the rushed approach on the friday announcing the winner and expect them to have a challenge set by saturday.

Actually I think it was Paul that started the first challenge we were discussing them and Paul actioned on it when we were both new members

why not have challenges for fun.
winning doesnt have to be serious and it doesnt matter who is organizing it they can still enter.

or instead of a winner have a list of things people can comment about each entry.
so everyone gets there entry crit.

so then they know what they need to improve

Last edited:
I agree about it being challenges.
Ok so far we have 1 volounteer
either volounteer or nominate someone (nominations do not count as final choice obviously they need to agree to do it)
Would you like a mod as part of the team or just gurus

an Idea how about having challenges that use 2 or more applications so it is not just photoshop
maybe illustrator and photoshop obviously these will need to be side challenges as not everyone has other programs but I love mixing 3d applications with photoshop.

any objections to Sierraccr being 1 of the organisors if not your going to be an organisor lol

i think the first theme should be zombies, because they're fun, can be easy, or hard, and and can be done many different ways

Paul organized the original challenges.
After a while he passed the challenge to someone that participated.
The next week that person asked someone else, etc., etc.

I think the challenges got way to complicated with tutorials and complicated instructions.
I think that can scare or intimidate people.

Consider simple before and after challenges too.

From Cindy Grundsten, one of our members:

5798946_orig.jpg

1685090_orig.jpg

3426829_orig.jpg

Post an image or two or three.
Combine them or pick one and change it completely.

Just my 2¢ worth.

good idea about the before and after like steve said but add a theme to them like thedirtyknapkin said.
a zombie,vampire scene before and after.
next could be like a dream seq etc..
but also have different kinds of challenges

I'm open to the new ideas -- like zombies dirty, lol -- as well as those of making before and afters.

I'm happy to help organize, as long as I can be clear on the finish and start times. It was confusing to have it close in one time zone and I'd come in way late because I'm half a day or more different from lots of the active participants. Also, Friday and Saturday are my busiest days at work, not that I couldn't work on something ahead of time. The difference before was you got asked at the last minute and preparation could be really rushed.

And if you want me to help, I know I will need input as to what subjects to choose for the challenge. It's good to get a wide range of interests guiding the ideas.

I like challenges better than competitions, but I don't care that much. Do contests encourage better work or intimidate folks? IDK. I think the poll was a good idea Hoogle.

I think once a month is too long a time for one challenge. We'll surely lose interest. I think 2 weeks is good, but as I remember, there were late entries, some even weeks later. But that's not as much fun as being involved with the group.

Those are my thoughts.

idea for the next challenge.
using an image of an ugly person (what you think is ugly) edit them to look good.

I personally think that if it is a challenge the op should provide the image/s to work on/with. Let's face it the image a lot of times can determine how easy good results are to get. If everyone works on the same image then you have a baseline to determIne who's work you like the best. Just my opinion.

Funny this has popped up again I was just discussing this with Clare last night I had the same kind of idea as Strict9.

I was getting feedback on the idea of providing a Raw file with a mixture of good shots and boring shots so every week or fortnight etc would be the same challenge just different pictures and enhanced\improved on how you see fit.

for example the image could be a portrait shot that could be under\over exposed composition off etc
and it would be up to the individual on if they want to enhance the portrait completly edit it and get the liquify tool out etc or take that image and make it as part of a bigger manipulation.

This would open up the Challenge to everyone and they can edit it as they see fit.

But I was not sure if people wanted a break for a while let the new members settle in.

But what I like about this idea is the fact people would not feel such pressured into x doing better than x etc as everyone will have there own idea on what to do with the image so leaves it a lot more open.

what are peoples views on this.

Back