What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recently got CS5

Smallguy

Hi I'm new to the forum and ive been using CS5 for the past few days now. Ive been following advanced tutorials and there has been no problems at all.

i wanted to ask will ideas etc come naturally as i wanted to design a FB Cover on CS5 and i didn't know what to do? Will designs and ideas eventually come to me over time and practices?

Yeah sure they will...

Just learn bits at a time and familiarize yourself with the tools and what not.

Yes.

and no.

I believe you need to find a source for your inspiration. What do you like. Look at the work of others. Take tutorials for making covers and get ideas. Do tutorials for other image creation. What is the cover for? Who is it for? what is the idea you want to share.

Yes, the more you work, the more ideas will flow. But inspiration is not like instant coffee; pour into cup, add water. That's why I believe in looking at what came before you. I am a fan of art history and current artworks.

Maybe you should start by doing text tutorials, learning first about text itself, then trying out different text effects for which there are tons of tuts and styles. You'll probably be using some form of the written word. Some of those text effects may even give you ideas. Look at some of our challenges here on PSG. Just search the word challenge. That might give you some ideas and if not, may at least inspire you to try out some of those techniques. The more tools in your toolbox, the better your ideas will shape up.

Good luck. :mrgreen:

Thank you guys. I know alot of short cuts from watching tutorials which ive been using. The cover photo is for Facebook and im hoping ideas and being creative will eventually come and flow and make me have intuitive ideas.

Any more ideas? Thanks

"there is nothing new under the sun" and "good artists copy great artists steal"

Browse the web for inspirational websites like : http://www.fromupnorth.com/ or http://abduzeedo.com/. save all the designs you like and mix them.
Choose object from one of them, pattern from the other, style of the third, composition of forth..etc.. and create your own design. It will be unique because your own style will add to that. and .. try to make it better ;)

Create flow charts: Sun - light- bright - energy - happiness - smile ..Your thought process will take you places you never expected.

Create fake customer in your head. Thing about what he want. What is the purpose of the design? Who supposed to like it? What kind of message supposed to be behind it? What kind of feeling its suppose to create? Excitement? Happiness? Happiness – energy – bright- Sun. Maybe Sun in a good idea for the main theme? There is a cool sun picture in your saved files. Looks awesome but it would be better with style from the other one.

Doodle. On paper and digitally. Open Photoshop, create a rectangle, copy it 10 times, move them around, skew them, play with filters , textures, blending mode etc. 9 on 10 results will suck but one on the will be interesting. Remember how you did it and use it later on. You will create your own style and eventually there will have no time to put all ideas in your head into action

Remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint
Good Luck

Back