What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't get the glow..

Windows7

Power User
Guys,

I started with next tutorial but immediately at step 2 i got stuck because when i duplicate the layer and change the blend to color dodge and put it above the original layer i don't get the extra glow and it doesn't make any change. Here's a printscreen:

glow.jpg

Can anybody say why i don't get the glow?

Here's the tutorial:

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tutorials-effects/advanced-glow-effects/

Attachments

• glow.jpg
    glow.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 3
I believe it's because you're using a gradient overlay and you don't actually have the gradient on the layer itself. If you do a radial gradient using the gradient tool (located under the paint bucket in the tool bar), it works fine.

Edit: Oops, Inkz got to it before me!

Like this...

screen1.png

screen2.png

Your mistake was making the gradient on layer style. Use the gradient tool "G" and create the gradient manually.

Ok man but why is it better to use the gradient tool?

Btw: what are the green lines in the center of the screen?And for what is it needed?

What took my attention is that at (intermediate) tutorials like this(i don't talk about advanced..) i see that i'm still not ready for this kind of stuff and i see i'm a real newbie.. . Even when they tell you step by step(but not every detail) it isn't easy... .

I looked at advanced and daaaaaaaamn....... what is that man???? WOOOOW????? UNHUMAN SH*T!!!!!

Small steps mate...

Is the best advice I can give. And you know where we are if you do ever get stuck. ;)

What took my attention is that at (intermediate) tutorials like this(i don't talk about advanced..) i see that i'm still not ready for this kind of stuff and i see i'm a real newbie.. . Even when they tell you step by step(but not every detail) it isn't easy... .

I looked at advanced and daaaaaaaamn....... what is that man???? WOOOOW????? UNHUMAN SH*T!!!!!

The tute is actually straight-forward.

But you misinterpreted by using an effect layer rather than the gradient tool itself. These create 2 different results.

Small steps mate...

Is the best advice I can give. And you know where we are if you do ever get stuck. ;)

Thank you very much man!! If i can help you with something ask me.. :)

The tute is actually straight-forward.

But you misinterpreted by using an effect layer rather than the gradient tool itself. These create 2 different results.

Ok that's right but.. the end result wasn't the same too man.. that's the problem!!

I've followed this tut a while back it seems...

Post in your end results and maybe pm me your .psd. I will go through it and point out your mistakes.

Ok man i'll try later i don't have much time today.. i already tried a few times yesterday and in the end you get tired of it.

Back