What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help recreating a look

Andy Atone

woman on boat the tribute and girls on inner tube blended copy.jpg

Hi gang, I'm hoping one of you can help me figure out what technique I need to use to create the (blending/feathering/transition) effect used to link these images.

I'm new to Photoshop and I'm working in CS3. I've looked up all sorts of masking techniques and I can't find an exact match but I may be using the wrong terminology.

The attached file is only a 144 dpi version and I'm trying to recreate it as a 300 dpi; so I need to try and get as close a match as possible.

Thanks!

Im sure you could achieve it with putting a graident in between the pictures, and then a certain layer style would do the job. BUt im not sure about it in CS3, so here is what i would so:
Put the pictures next to each other as 3 different layers (in case of 3 pictures, if its x pictures then do x layers). Make sure one picture overlaps the other one by about 5-10 percent. And now mesusre the size of the overlapping part, and select a 50 or 75 percent circular erase brush with the radius half of what you measured, and then simply erase the overlapping picture down the edge of it. That should do the effect.

As far as the 144 dpi to 300 dpi version, im not sure if i understand you right, but basically the only was you would achieve that is by resizing the picture, which would lower the quality tho. If you dont mind that, then just create a new blank file with the pixel measurement of the original file, but with 300 dpi (in the settings), then copy and paste the original file into the new file and resize it until it fits. And then save.
But if the quality is important, and money is no problem, i could recommend LiquidRescale. Google it and check it out.
Let me know if you have any more questions

Hey Andy, This is a simple effect to accomplish. Take you three photos you would like to merge, line them up. Make it so the middle photo is the bottom (photo) layer. Add a layer mask to the other two photos/layers. Use the GRADIENT TOOL set on Foreground to transparent. Set your foreground color to black. Set your Gradient tool to linear gradient. Starting right next to the line that seperates the two photo's, pull a gradient on the Right photo's layer mask from center to the right. Short strokes. You may have to do this several times. Then pull a gradient on the left photo's layer mask from center to the left. This should do the trick.

GirlsOnBoats_01.jpg

GirlsOnBoats_02.png

Last edited:
Alosolo & IamSam, thank you both for the tips. I was trying to do this with a single effect and turns out I just need to combine a couple of really simple tools. I managed to get a very close match by combining large brush strokes and the gradient tool. What I didn't realize was that I needed my foreground color to be black (it was white). Once I made that simple adjustment, I was able to to get the result very quickly.

And Alosolo, sorry for the confusion about the resolution. I was just trying to explain why I had to recreate the file.

Really appreciate the help (and the new learn).

This is a great way to learn how to mask...use black and white for the mask...and how you add grey is the trick on a smooth transition. Masking with gradients is a easy way to do this as the guys showed. Play with them, you will use masks more and more

And Alosolo, sorry for the confusion about the resolution. I was just trying to explain why I had to recreate the file.

Really appreciate the help (and the new learn).
No problem, just glad we could help

And IamSam, thx for that great tutorial, its a simple way to do something great, glad i learned about it. Ipprechiate it

Back