What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Box reflection help needed

Xileo

Hi,

Normally when I need a reflection in photoshop I duplicate the layer, rotate it vertically then add a layer mask with the gradient. This works great on text etc but I've no idea on how to reflect boxes. I have attached an image of what I am trying to achieve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• featuredbox8.jpg
    featuredbox8.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 41
I've only done this once, so my way might be the hard way, and someone more experienced will hopefully give you a better answer.

I duplicated the image of the box twice, as there would be some of the front & some of the side section showing in the reflection. I masked the front & side respectively in the 2 duplicates.

After flipping, I used free transform to distort the corners to where they should be in the reflection, then add the layer mask as you previously mentioned.

You can see the image I did here.

Hope that helps.

Reflections one of the difficult jobs in Photoshop.You need patience see these tutorials it may help u .

This is the best of the lot i think

- Good luck!!

Last edited:
ok this is my attempt .I used some of the above tutorials.But Gurus can explain much better.

shadow_test.png

Hi Zoe, this is a great job!

The problem is that the OP wishes to reflect a box shape. The usual technique does not work.

BoxExample.png

I encountered this problem in this thread: http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/general-photoshop-board/45895-painting-object.html

I realize that this is not a good explanation for how I accomplished the effect, but if the OP will post an actual photo of the box they would like to reflect, I will certainly try to explain the process.

Great job Zoe, but you forgot to reflect the box top flaps.

Try this one......

RiceKrispiesBox.png
edit: Got bored.....

RiceKrispiesBox_01.png

I hope the OP decides to come back!

Last edited:
Awesome IamSam . Can you teach us how you made it? .Really appreciated.OMG its really look realistic.I cant wait to learn from you .

regards

IamSam did you cut the box into two pieces? Am still wonder how did u do that so realistic.

Hi Zoe,

I was holding out on a tutorial for the OP, but since your interested, I will give it a shot for you!

The first thing I did was to open the RKBox in Photoshop and expand the canvas to accommodate the reflection.
I aligned the box by first pressing command + A and then using the "align horizontal centers" icon. Hit command + D to deselect.

RKBoxTut_01.png

RKBoxTut_02.png

I use command + J to make a copy of the RKBox. Name this copy "Flipped Box".
Use EDIT > TRANSFORM > FLIP VERTICAL.
Use the Move Tool to position the Flipped Box image below the Original.

RKBoxTut_03.png

The box has two surfaces, a narrow and a wide surface. I use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to create a box around the narrow surface of the flipped image. Hit command + J to duplicate the selection to it's own layer. Name this layer "Narrow"

RKBoxTut_04.png

Repeat the above step for the wide surface. Name it "Wide". Turn off the "Flipped Box" layer

RKBoxTut_05.png

Next, Turn off the "Wide" layer and highlight the "Narrow" layer. Hit command + T to enter the transform function. A transform box will appear, right click inside the transform box and select SKEW. Grab the upper left transform handle and drag straight upwards until the angle matches the angel of the bottom of the original box. You may have to right click within the transform box again and select TRANSFORM to adjust the width. Hit enter or the check mark when done.

RKBoxTut_06.png

Turn off the newly transformed "Narrow" layer and turn on and highlight the "wide" layer. Hit command + T to enter the transform function. A transform box will appear, right click inside the transform box and select SKEW. Grab the upper right transform handle and drag straight upwards until the angle matches the angel of the bottom of the original box. You may have to right click within the transform box again and select TRANSFORM to adjust the width. Hit enter or the check mark when done.

RKBoxTut_07.png

Turn on the "Narrow" layer again and you should have this…..

RKBoxTut_08 copy.png

Notice that the reflected image is now longer than the Original upright image……….we will address this in a moment.

We now want to select/highlight both the "Narrow" and "Wide" layers only, hit command + J to duplicate, then command + E to merge the two layers. Name the newly duplicated/merged layer "Reflection". Turn off the "Narrow" and "Wide" layers, we are done with them. We can group them and save them just in case we mess up! Or you can delete them.

Use the Move Tool and the directional arrow keys to nudge the "Reflection" layer to meet the bottom of the "original" layer.
Now is the time to address the longer reflection image if you want. Use the transform function (command + T) to shorten the "Reflection" layer if desired. I like to leave it longer to suggest a deep shine on the reflecting surface.

The final part is to add a layer mask to the "Reflection" layer by highlighting the "Reflection" layer and pressing the layer mask icon located at the bottom of the layer panel. Choose the Gradient Tool. Open the Gradient Editor and select "Foreground to transparent" preset. Click OK. Make sure black and white are set as your foreground and background colors by hitting D on your keyboard. Make sure BLACK is the foreground color by hitting X on your keyboard.

Make sure your "Reflection" layer is highlighted and that the layer mask is bracketed in white by clicking on it. Hold down your shift key and pull a gradient from bottom to top. You may have to repeat this several times until it looks right. Remember you can always back up using the option + command + Z keys! I then lower the "Reflection" layers opacity to at least 50% or less!

Good luck and have fun!

RKBoxTut_09.png

Last edited:
this is photoshop at its best. Really awesome you guys are terrific. Am glad to be in here to learn new things every day. Thanks a ton.

Nice tut. I maybe should've done something more along those lines instead of the 1 paragraph description I made at the start, except you did a better job than I could have done. :)

Nice tut. I maybe should've done something more along those lines instead of the 1 paragraph description I made at the start, except you did a better job than I could have done. :)

SPWA my friend it matters not one jot how you word or show image replies, i myself am very poor at describing my work flow to people, we are all different.
Sam as a talent not only to show but he can also tell excellently:thumbsup:
A reply is worth millions to new members as they feel that they have made some contact, and all of us learn from everyones input at what ever level, so please never feel inadequate or lesser of a member for this - i don't and i dare say neither do others here.

SPWA, thanks!

I certainly agree with Paul, it does not matter at all how you reply or explain your posts and you should never feel as though your not contributing! Your a valued member of this community!

I wish there was a way to determine the experience level of all posters as this would enable all of us to respond with the proper terminology and short concise answers. I personally can understand most short written answers without problems. But sometimes I feel that others may benefit from both a written and a visual representation of certain techniques and concepts. I also tend to have more time on my hands than others.

Back