What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Distorted Text Question

Maybe it's because I rely on the warp transform function a lot.

I do as well. I set up ctrl+w as shortcut since I use it so often, but seldom on text. Then too it could have been the font I chose which showed a lot f distortion on the letters.

This one way using Photoshop. Put each letter on it's own layer and rasterize them. Make a guide on it's own layer and distort the top of each letter to fit. Throw away the guide when you're done.

I didn't try to get it absolutely perfect but you should get the idea.

Thanks - how do I make a layer guide, and what does it do exactly?

It's just a visual guide I made with the pen tool. Try using warp as suggested by ibclare,i's much easier.

Transform Warp does take a bit of getting used to....

Transform Warp.jpg

Start with the top grid... click on the center of the grid line and drag it straight down to get the arc you like. Take care not to shift your mouse left or right of the text will distort.

Follow with the second then the third grid to balance out the text shape.

The main problem is the distortion to the letter "o" - it looks pretty bad. I may try this and add an "o" back afterwards.

I have to mention, not all fonts work well with this warp as you can see in the third sample......

Monarex.jpg

And I notice that on your example the O looks like it has been replaced. It's entire top does not follow the imaginary curvature of the text arc and the kerning is too tight compared to the others.

In a way, this makes it look off in a perspective sense.

But if you still prefer that look, you may have to replace the O with one created and warped by its own (or use a different font) using the other transform functions.

That's a good idea. Just circle it with the lasso, delete or mask it off. Add the o back in on a text layer and if need be, rasterize and use ctl/cmd and pull a corner to see if you get the needed distortion or use transform>warp. It shouldn't take much and it may work without any transforming at all, especially given its location on the nearly horizontal straight line. Let us see how it works, so post your resultd. OK? Pretty please? LOL

And bear in mind, not every graphics you see was created in Photoshop. I get what you mean regarding certain letters looking "OFF". Other graphic applications manipulate fonts differently.

If Photoshop is the only application you use, the only thing you can do is approximate the look you want ... in other words, cosmetically "cheat" to get the look you want.

Just what I was thinking oh exalted admin. What font is used will certainly determine the amount of distortion you will get. I had to reread the posts so as not to repeat them.

See how I snuck in a repeat anyhoo

Yeah. Hondo. (named after the John Wayne movie - he has a cool dog - of the same name) And quit picking on my kid dv8 or I'll fly out there an kick yor smart azz. Admin or not. Now you're going to tell me you're into S&M . . .

Why do you say that? ... I don't use whips and chains.... I use PS's Stamp and Masking tools..... :cheesygrin:

to TwistedNerve....

apologies for the OT.... we have to put up with the wackiness of the Mod team sometimes...

Yeah. Hondo. (named after the John Wayne movie - he has a cool dog - of the same name) And quit picking on my kid dv8 or I'll fly out there an kick yor smart azz. Admin or not. Now you're going to tell me you're into S&M . . .

Back