What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make reflection for complex picture ?

tai.nguyenthe22911

Dear all,

I am Advin and I am new here, my issue is that I dont know how to make reflection for this complex picture. Please help me with your professional advice.

Take care,

qosmio-x505-q850-laptop.png

The best way is to see it. If you have a laptop, set it up on a reflective surface and observe the reflection, or try using a piece of cardboard folded to mimic the shape.

This usually only works well for text, but its worth a go, you can always mess around with it.

Duplicate the image, flip it vertical, and turn the opacity on the duplicated image down to 10%. Put the duplicated image directly under the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iDesign - That will not work in this situation, at least not entirely.

It can certainly be done as I have done (quickly) here.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.14.06 AM.png

I just don't know how I'm going to explain how I did it...........give me some time.

You will have to do what Idesign said then a number of perspective changes on each individual side to match up with the laptop.

On this very rough image I cut it out and then flipped it vertically and used perspective transform to align one side. I then cutout the right side and used the perspective tool again the opposite way to match up the other side. You can then mask out all the bits you dont need.

reflection.jpg

iDesign - That will not work in this situation, at least not entirely.

It can certainly be done as I have done (quickly) here.

View attachment 47092

I just don't know how I'm going to explain how I did it...........give me some time.

Thank very much, bro.

By the way, could you send me your psd file, therefore I could learn some more from you.

Take care,

You will have to do what Idesign said then a number of perspective changes on each individual side to match up with the laptop.

On this very rough image I cut it out and then flipped it vertically and used perspective transform to align one side. I then cutout the right side and used the perspective tool again the opposite way to match up the other side. You can then mask out all the bits you dont need.

View attachment 47093

Thank you very much, bro.

I appreciate your deep explaination.

Advin, I don't mind creating a tutorial for you but I'm not going to post the PSD. My apologies, but I'm more interested in helping you to learn how to create this effect, but I don't want to do it for you.

If you want this done for you, please say so and hopefully someone will be willing to help you out.

Let us know what you want.
Thanks.

Advin, I don't mind creating a tutorial for you but I'm not going to post the PSD. My apologies, but I'm more interested in helping you to learn how to create this effect, but I don't want to do it for you.

If you want this done for you, please say so and hopefully someone will be willing to help you out.

Let us know what you want.
Thanks.

Thanks IamSam,

I appreciate your work and I am looking for your tutorial about complex reflection because this is not only help me, but also others who have the same problem like me.

Take care,

Here is the way I did this but I'm certain there are other ways.

I took the original and made a copy. Cmd/Cntrl + J.
On the copy layer, I went to IMAGE > TRANSFORM> FLIP VERTICAL.
Name it flipped layer.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.58.10 AM.png

I selected my Move Tool.
Hit Cmd/Cntrl + T to enter the transform function.
Move and rotate the flipped layer into the following position.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.58.50 AM.png

Select your Pen Tool or your Polygonal Lasso Tool and make a selection
as pictured below.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.59.14 AM.png

Hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selection to it's own layer.
Name this side layer.
Should look something like this....

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 10.48.48 PM.png

Go back to the flipped layer.
Move and rotate the flipped layer into the following position.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 12.00.03 PM.png

Select your Pen Tool or your Polygonal Lasso Tool and make a selection
as pictured below.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 12.00.32 PM.png

Hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selection to it's own layer.
Name this front layer.
Should look something like this....

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 10.52.34 PM.png

Highlight both of the front and side layers and merge Cmd/Cntrl + E.
Name this reflected body layer

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 12.01.07 PM.png

Select your Brush Tool.
Add a layer mask.
Use the Brush Tool set to black on the layer mask to clean up and shape the reflection.
Again, with the Brush Tool on the canvas, sample colors and paint in any missing pixels.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 1.06.22 PM.png

Now for the hardest part, go back to and highlight your flipped layer.
You will have to work the image into something similar to what I have in the following image.
Right click on your canvas while in transform and use any or all of the transform functions,
Scale, Rotate, Skew, Distort, or perspective. ( I did not use Warp)

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.07.13 PM.png

This is how it comes out.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.15.15 PM.png

Next you would add a layer mask and use the Gradient Tool with a Foreground to transparent preset
to fade the reflection.

That's very good Advin, if I had seen that before I finished typing my tutorial, then I could have just stopped!

Back