What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS4 not decoding JPG correctly

ScarlettKitsune

Hi there,

I've sort of fallen over the first hurdle of re-learning photoshop... The CS4 appears to be decoding pictures incorrectly! I remembering experiencing this issue a long time ago on another version of photoshop, but can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it. The photos are all opening up like this:

Screenshot 1.jpg

I'm running windows vista on my laptop (the worst OS in the world, I know). Does anyone have any ideas? o_O

Welcome aboard. It's good to have you.

The image you posted looks like a result of what is called "bit rot" (Google it). It affects JPGs by making certain areas in the image have different colors, patterns, etc. The effect will look different in different photo viewing software.

That being said, there are other possible causes, so to exclude these, why don't you (a) post one of the JPGs that is giving you problems, and (b) test if it occurs only on older JPGs by downloading a new JPG (say, from the web), and trying to open it in PS, as well as other photo viewing software on your system.

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - If this effect is occurring on new JPGs, but only in PS, not in other photo viewing software, try re-setting PS's preference file. There have been quite a few posts on the procedure right here on PSG -- just Google it.

Tom

Back