What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Interesting Reason Why You Shouldn't Delete Bad Photographs

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
you may not think it's interesting, but it can produce purely unique results and can be used in several ways.

It's known as glitching, it's fairly easy to do, all you need is paint and wordpad for the initial effect, and then you can have some real fun in Photoshop!

Process

for the purpose of showing you this effect I'm going to be using this image, a screenshot from Operation Flashpoint: Red River:
2013-08-25_00005.jpg

• Okay first things first, convert it to a 24-bit BMP file, best to do it in Paint rather than Photoshop.

• after that, open it in wordpad.

• save it.

• open it in paint, you should notice that the image has changed, how much depends on the image itself

when I opened my image, it had just offset to the right.

• If you find that the image hasn't changed much like mine did, open the image again in wordpad.
  • start randomly clicking around and jamming the space-bar, don't worry if you delete a few characters in the process.
  • if you can't be bothered doing that, find another XD

general rule of thumb is 'up is down'... the top part of the wordpad document is the bottom of the actual image, and vice versa, it shouldn't take longer than ten minutes, and don't localize it in one place. scroll to the middle, and to the bottom, and play around there too.

• save the document and look at the thumbnail regularly and you'll start to see drastic differences.

• once you're happy, open it in paint, and save it as a JPEG.

I'd finished up in wordpad and it ended out like this:
2013-08-25_00005.jpg

some images work better than others, it's a variable effect.

I prefer images that don't change too much (like the OFP one) as I can get a more precise effect, and it is still recognizable.

Finishing up in Photoshop:
It's up to you what you do with it in Photoshop, I used Richard Rosenman's scan lines filter (found here) with the Mosaic filter and a bit of added noise, and then added it into a larger image.
this is the Photoshopped version:
2013-08-25_00005 PS.jpg

READ THIS:
Be aware that some images may not parse in paint or photoshop once they have been corrupted in wordpad, the formatting may have destroyed the BMP extension information, if this happens, find another image.
If wordpad stops responding, make the image smaller.

check the attachments for the usual effect you get when doing the wordpad distortion on a straight save.
it's still usable for just about anything really.

Give it a try with some old photographs no matter the result, post them here.

Attachments

• arma3_releasedate_screenshot_02.jpg
    arma3_releasedate_screenshot_02.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 2
thank you! I’m glad you find the effect interesting :D I didn't think people would think much of it :)

Back