What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

~1892 Genealogy Picture Restoration

thebestcpu

Guru
I have been my extended family's genealogist for about 20 years. Besides documenting ancestors (back through all male and female lines) I mostly have been collecting stories and when available images to scan (and eventually restore). The work I am sharing is from a cabinet card made in ~1892. I did many scans about 18 years ago, and have been docmenting and identifying the individuals. I recently discovered the identities of a mom and her three children (all separate images) as one of my Great Grand Aunts Lucy Anne (Wheeler) Reese (which I am sharing) and her three children (which are work in progress). A lot of detective work including the genealogy of the photographer to help identify the identities by confirming time the image was taken.
I am just starting to do restoration works on a treasure trove of scanned images and open for any and all feedback. I have a lot to learn (especially in colorization).

The first image is the original cabinet card. Relatively good shape given the age:

Lucy Wheeler full cabinet card original.jpg

Hard to know how much to improve the image so just used my judgement.

Here is the final version. I wanted the borders to be more visible for the viewer and cleaned up yet not perfectly for a sense that it is still an old image:

Lucy-Wheeler-abt-1892-final.jpg

I also did a portrait zoomed in version with the last image colorized. I leveraged the Neural Filter for Colization first and then did some hand work. Adds an intersting dimension yet not sure how much I like it compared to the non-colorized version. I need more practice on picking facial colors espeicially lips. Just a newbie on this front. Here is the starting image"

Lucy-A-Wheeler-portrait-view-original.jpg

Restored view:

Lucy-A-Wheeler-portrait-view.jpg

And colorized version:

Lucy-A-Wheeler-portrait-view-colorized.jpg

Thanks in advance for any comments, feedback, and suggestions for where to learn more.
John Wheeler

FYI- Lucy was around 38 years old when this picture was taken in Ravenna Ohio

Argos

Guru
Nice Work! my only comment will be on the colorized one, looking at the eyes looks like she has almost no makeup, so the makeup color/tone on the lips seems too modern to me and throws me off a little bit.

Cheers!

thebestcpu

Guru
Nice Work! my only comment will be on the colorized one, looking at the eyes looks like she has almost no makeup, so the makeup color/tone on the lips seems too modern to me and throws me off a little bit.

Cheers!
Thanks @Argos and totally agree. I will plan on studying examples and asking help from thise with more expertise to tune up my skills

harleynut97

Wow.... Nicely done John. It is very rare to come across any kind of photos so old, if this is your family, your very lucky - Carl