What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2D to 3D - non AE

JgraphNet

Power User
Just saw a couple of animated images by Pelle Piano - Swedish Photographer and Photoshopper: Studiobild - where he had turned 2D images to 3D and not used After Effects.

Turns out in the discussions at the forum he published them in that he used Cheetah 3D (Mac only) to do these animations and my guess is he used Alpha-planes in different Z-depths to put the image elements on and then animated camera movements.
Similar should be possible to do in any 3D app with animation possibilities - like Blender, Max, Cinema 4D, Bryce etc.

Perhaps even in PhS Extended version using 3D Postcards, but in PhS the camera is static (to my knowledge) and I don't have Extended so I can't check it up.

Someone feel inspired ?

--- DKJ ---

Sure is, Sidefx. Was surprised really since I didn't know he was experimenting with this technique. The method is described (briefly) above - as far as he told about it...

--- DKJ ---

Indeed it can, Gaussian. Seen a lot of similar cool stuff done in AE by Andrew Kramer at Video Copilot and Chad Perkins.
But Pelle sees no need for AE in his workflow, so he did it with what he had, and I suspect it could be done somewhat similar in PhS Extended.

--- DKJ ---

I want AE so bad ........ my freebie ran out before I got a chance to experiment with it.......... gotta wait now......$$$$ ugh!
this guy does some incredible work

Yeah.. I know the feeling, iDad. At the place that distributes my classes there's AECS3 on one machine, but I haven't dared taking it for a spin. If I did my Visa would definitly be in the Danger Zone - and I have to hold back. But it's hard when you see the awsome stuff being done with it ...
If I had the time I would dl Blender, but after trying my hand at Max some time ago I know how long it would take to get my head around it.
Pity Pelle is so tight a--- ... ahem... fisted with what he does. Can't even fool him to reveal more than tidbits...

--- DKJ ---

Last edited:
If he makes a living at it, he probably considers what he does trade secrets ....can't blame him there.

True. He did experiment a couple of years and came up with a pretty unique style. Much - perhaps most - of his photography is green screen. The rest is Photoshop and the occational other app. That much we know.

--- DKJ ---

Yepp - that's his method in about 90 % of his images.
If you take the first one of the 2.5D's - Anna in Manhattan Sunset - he shot the model Anna Eriksson on Green screen, bought the Manhattan image as a stock from Dreamstime, modeled and rendered the painbuckets, chains and "scaffold" in a 3D app (I think Strata ) and then composited them all together in Photoshop. Don't know how he did with the wine bottle...
Since all image elements were allready isolated from backgrounds it was no big deal to do the 2.5's in Cheetah 3D.

Back