What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 color Halftone help please

belvir

Im trying to create a 3 colour halftone image as per the two photo's could some one please point me in the right direction and steps taken to create this effect.
skull.jpgskull2.jpg
(I can create a halftone image but it always has white background and not transparent for overlapping the colours.)

If you can create it then when you start be sure that your document has a transparent layer and save it as that .gif.png probably .png if what you want is for web use.

sorry my error with the explanation... I can create a one colour halftone that always has white background when I create a bitmap. I have no idea how to color the bitmap to and to make white transparent.

The white you see is either background or work space can you see grid (smallsquares)when making

@OP - Do the colors of the dots have to be the three that you show (pink, cyan and black), or can they be more standard RGB or CMYK, or do they have to be completely adjustable?

Tom M

There is a huge amount of technique and material to know if you want to do high quality color halftone separations, but if you can stand a method that should only take you 30 seconds, but will at least get you close to the example you posted, just do the following:

1. Load your original into PS.

2. Go to the "channels" palette, and nudge each of the three RGB channels by a few pixels, each in a different direction. This gives you color fringes like those in the example you posted.

3. Go to filters / color separations and experiment with all the parameters.

The attached files shows the above steps, starting with the original artwork.

It's certainly not exact (eg, the dots are too coarse, I used too many colors and the wrong ones, etc.), but it should give you some ideas on how to proceed.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps01a-00_orig_600px_wide.jpg
    brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps01a-00_orig_600px_wide.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 23
  • brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps02a_crop_600px_hi-01_nudge_RGB_channels.jpg
    brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps02a_crop_600px_hi-01_nudge_RGB_channels.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 23
  • brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps02a_crop_600px_hi-02.jpg
    brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps02a_crop_600px_hi-02.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 23
For example, putting a hue/sat adjustment layer on top gives the following.

Attachments

• brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps02a_crop_600px_hi-02b_hue_sat.jpg
    brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps02a_crop_600px_hi-02b_hue_sat.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 24
...and add back a bit of the original...

Attachments

• brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps02a_crop_600px_hi-02d_add_in_some_orig.jpg
    brain__s_skull_rotten_by_rakdoss-d4uvrfs-acr-ps02a_crop_600px_hi-02d_add_in_some_orig.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 24
Yes yes yes this is what I would like to achieve :) but Im not having having success hat the first stage.

I loaded up you picture into CS6 .

but when I play around with channels I get the following:
Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 11.13.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-04-09 at 11.13.51 AM.png

This is what was happening to me before, the whole picture changes colour Im missing a step or two here...

Glad my suggestion helped.

BTW, your approach of using spot channels can produce very clean results. However, if you can stand using just the standard RGB or CMYK channels and then modifying the colors afterwards, you can get some very interesting efx without needing to make new spot color channels. This is why I asked you about colors many posts ago. :)

Cheers,

Tom M

Back