What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D effect...

theKeeper

Guru
Hey that's cool. Kind of a stained glass look to it. :perfect:

What's the bg made of Moth? Looks like chain links and grids...? :)

wbiss

Guru
B7 That looks really great Moth! :perfect:

ljiljana

Guru
Moth That is great! :perfect:
Mark Your tutorial is excellent! :perfect: :} Here is my PSG:

G

Applause for you ljiljana for making this great image and applause for Mark for writing a tutorial that people can understand :}

wbiss

Guru
Fabulous Lily! :} :} :}

Moth

Power User
Applause for ljiljana! :} :} :} That is great.

Thank you for kind words everyone.

Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial, Mark!

The background is made with a combination of lighting effects, glass, and displace.

Create a 25 x 25 px document.
Fill with white.
Select all and stroke inside the selection with black at 2 px width.
Define Pattern.
Save and close.

Create a 50 x 50 px document.
Fill with the pattern you just created. Should look like a cross in a box.
Save and name displace.psd
close.

Now we get busy... :D

Create a 800 x 600 document
Render clouds.
Filter/distort/glass using displace.psd as texture. Distortion 12/Smoothness 2.
Copy layer into an alpha channel.

Render/Lighting effects. (I own a Mac and don't know how to make a screen shot.) Using the alpha channel as yout texture channel place a light yellow #FFFFCC spot light in the upper left corner. Intensity 17, Focus 100, Gloss and Material both 100, texture channel height 51. No other changes.
Place a medium brown #663300 spotlight in lower right corner. Intensity 9, Focus 44, Gloss and Material both 100, texture channel height 51, No other changes.
Run the filter.

Filter/Distort/Displace Horizontal 30%, Vertical 30%, Displacement map -tile, Undefined areas- wrap around.
Click Ok
Repeat filter 4 times.
Filter Distort/Glass -same settings as above.
Image/Adjustments/Curves- click Auto.

...and there you have it. :)

scorpion

thanks moth heres my attempt ...its not perfect ..i couldn't get the cross on the psd to work ...how do u make it a cross?

ljiljana

Guru
Gaussian,Wendy and Moth Thank you!

Moth Thank you for backgraund tut. :perfect: Iwould like to ask you how did you make inside the butterfly?

And here is a combination of Mark`s and Moth`s tut. Hope you like it.

Moth

Power User
Beautiful work!

How did I do the inside of the butterfly? Well, it kind of built itself and I am not 100% sure I can remember all the steps. The muse was really flowing at that point. :D But, I'm sure that's happened to all of us here. :\

So if I'm a little vague I apologize.;\

What I remember...

I selected the outside of the largest moth form and contracted the selection by 2 px.
Created a new layer below the moth shape but above the background.
Filled the shape with black and did Mark's layers effect on it.
Copied layer twice, linked them and merged.
Lock the transparency.
Filter/distort/displace with the same settings I used for background.
Set layer to multiple.
Created a layer mask and render/clouds.
Then Filter/Pixalate/Crystallize.
Then Image/Adjust/Threshold.
Create a new layer.
Load the selection from the shape you created.
Fill with a linear gradient using the silver metallic gradient.
Filter Noise/Add Noise
Filter/Stylize/Diffuse/Anisotropic
Set Layer to Hard Light.
Create a new layer.
Load the shape again.
Render/Clouds
Filter/Noise/Add Noise.
Lock the transparency.
Filter/Stylize Emboss.
Set Layer to Overlay.
Copy the layer that you applied the Displace to and place it above the layer you just applied emboss to.
Set layer to Exclusion.
Image/Adjust/Hue & Saturation/Colorize and move the sliders to you like what you see.
Create a layer mask and follow the same steps as you did when you Created the first mask. Play with the Threshold slider.
Create a new layer but place it at the very top.
Load the shape.
Render Clouds.
Do the Crystallize/Theshold trick again.
Select and delete the white but leave the black.
Gaussian Blur 1 px to smoth any jaggies.
Set Layer to Overlay.

Enjoy. Have fun. A bagel is calling my name.

scorpion

moth
what about my prob :(

how do u make the cross in the patttern on the glass? i can't do it at all :( a little help plz

ljiljana

Guru
Thank you Moth !
Well, it kind of built itself and I am not 100% sure I can remember all the steps. The muse was really flowing at that point. But, I'm sure that's happened to all of us here.

So if I'm a little vague I apologize.

I know what you mean and pls. don`t apologize , you are so kind to answer so quick.Thank you !

Moth

Power User
Sorry Scorpion!

With all of us posting at the same time, I did not see your posts. [oops]

Your background looks good. I'm not sure where you are getting stuck except your glass texture does not look like my crosses. Are you choosing the right texture when you run glass? It looks like you may be using tiny lens. Click on the texture button then choose load texture. From there, choose your displace.jpg. Also make sure that the smoothness is set at 2.

Gotta go. Good Luck. :)

scorpion

its the texture in the shape of a cross i don't understand ur description was "Select all and stroke inside the selection with black at 2 px width."

i don't understand can u save that as a jpg so i can see what its meant to look like plz

ljiljana

Guru
scorpion I just made it and here it is :
step 1: 25 x25 px define pattern
step2 :50 x50 px fill with pattern and save as dmap. :)

theKeeper

Guru
Scorpion...
Excellent metal texture you made, i really like that. It's like perferated metal siding of some kind. :perfect:

ljiljana...
Great job on the tute. Perfect results. :perfect:
Don't be afraid to change the type/colour of gradient as well as the face of the type to something of your own.

I just used metal as an example. ;)

In case anyone's interested, heres a "Grid" filter to help make the effect Moth did. The filter needs to be run on a prefilled layer. So just use white or black. You can remove the bg colour with the SELECT>Color Range filter afterward.
:B

Moth

Power User
Pretty cool that you can make filters. :)

Unfortunately, I have a Mac... :{

j/k

theKeeper

Guru
First... i didn't make that filter. Wish i could, but math bugs me... A LOT! [doh] The author offered to make this filter for me to my specs. And he did an A1 job of it too. His nick is "Kangaroo". In case you wanna search for other filters by him.

Second... ya sorry about that, it's a PC filter. I only know of one place that offers Mac versions of Filter Factory filters: http://showcase.netins.net/web/wolf359/plugins.htm

Just above the master filter list is this link: Open a new window to view FX samples of each Gallery and Collection. Use it to preview the filters.

He has a kazillion or so filters. If you see any you like, just email him with a request to have them converted to Mac. Read his notice about that also.